Tanning Materials

ISO: All things tanning.

I have a fleshing knife but am looking for fleshing beam and a drying board.

Also looking for good places to find the supplies needed: Salt in mass quantities, Alum, etc.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Then you need to go to the NC Trappers Convention the last of this month down in Smithfield. You will find all the information you need there and can probably find all the skinning, fleshing, drying supplies you need right there that day. Do a search here for the convention information. It was posted a couple of weeks ago with the location, schedule of activities and contact info. A great event, even if you didn't trap, but a must-go-to since you do.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
And a suggestion also, you may want to ask the admins to move this thread to the "Small Game and Trapping" section.

Then you need to go to the NC Trappers Convention the last of this month down in Smithfield. You will find all the information you need there and can probably find all the skinning, fleshing, drying supplies you need right there that day. Do a search here for the convention information. It was posted a couple of weeks ago with the location, schedule of activities and contact info. A great event, even if you didn't trap, but a must-go-to since you do.

I wish I could go to the convention but I am going to be away that weekend! Bummer!!! Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Hope you have had an opportunity to check out the schedule. If so, you can see that it starts on Friday and there is a supper at 6:30 so folks will be around for a while. With only a $5 admission (and a free meal if you choose) you can't go wrong. For what you are looking, I would strongly encourage you to try and get down there if only a rush after work. The vendors, some of which are members here, are great folks to work with and you will find everything you are looking in one place with no shipping..

Hope you have had an opportunity to check out the schedule. If so, you can see that it starts on Friday and there is a supper at 6:30 so folks will be around for a while. With only a $5 admission (and a free meal if you choose) you can't go wrong. For what you are looking, I would strongly encourage you to try and get down there if only a rush after work. The vendors, some of which are members here, are great folks to work with and you will find everything you are looking in one place with no shipping..

Lasttombstone, I am leaving Friady afternoon and not returning until early evening Sunday. I won't be able to make it this year, sadly.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
You can buy salt in large bags (50#) at tractor supply.
This is where I get my salt. Definitely not worth paying shipping on salt. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking at taxidermy style wall hangers or doing garments? To my knowledge, alum is no longer widely used in taxidermy, not sure about other applications. Taxidermy suppliers (Mckenzie, Jim Allred's, van dykes, etc) sell all kinds of tanning products. Most of them will give you a good tan. Depending on the softness you are looking for, some will be better than others, but oils, lotions, and breaking processes probably have more impact on final quality.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Also, I make all my own fleshing beams. You don't need anything fancy. I have several different sized boards rounded off to the shape I want, along with multiple sizes of PVC pipe mounted to a sturdy base that I use. Google some ideas, then make them or have someone you know do it for you.

Also, I make all my own fleshing beams. You don't need anything fancy. I have several different sized boards rounded off to the shape I want, along with multiple sizes of PVC pipe mounted to a sturdy base that I use. Google some ideas, then make them or have someone you know do it for you.

Thanks, Newsome Road!! Very helpful!!