Talk about “akerns”......

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
It was a good year for saw tooth oaks . I have approximately 300 that are around 25 years old that were loaded this year but the akerns get eat quick. Last year there was not an nut on farm ( well maybe the owner) . It was the first time in 15 years they didn't bare. If you have a place to plant some do so it doesn't take long for them to produce and deer love em.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
It was a good year for saw tooth oaks . I have approximately 300 that are around 25 years old that were loaded this year but the akerns get eat quick. Last year there was not an nut on farm ( well maybe the owner) . It was the first time in 15 years they didn't bare. If you have a place to plant some do so it doesn't take long for them to produce and deer love em.

I have been hunting this property for 11 years. There has never been a year yet that they were not loaded down. Last year some limbs actually broke from the weight of the acorns. Me and a buddy are the only two that hunt it. Landowners planted 2000. 75% of them are planted in rows. We have tried to talk the land owner into letting us go in cut every other tree but he’s not keen on that idea. He can’t comprehend how his acorn production will actually increase with less trees. This place is crawling with deer. The whole property has noticeable browse line. We have killed over 140 does in 11 years. Some were shot under normal tags, some were shot with permits but year inand year out, it’s not a “if” you’ll see deer, it’s how bad do you want to clean one when you go. Haha
It’s a helluva place to take kids and friends that have never killed a deer. Took a friend yesterday and she killed a big doe. Said she saw over 25 does/yearlings. I saw 16 yesterday morning but only 2 yesterday evening. Very blessed to have the property not to mention the landowner and his wife are as good as they come.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
i assume turkeys love them? if the wood goats dont eat them all?
Woods and water, darkthirty?

Your assumption is correct. I despise the damn things because when they come in, they’re so loud you can’t hear anything. Had 15 hens/poults come by yesterday morning. Scratching, purring, clucking and other loud obnoxious turkey stuff.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Your assumption is correct. I despise the damn things because when they come in, they’re so loud you can’t hear anything. Had 15 hens/poults come by yesterday morning. Scratching, purring, clucking and other loud obnoxious turkey stuff.
are they worse than spotted bass? LOL
I am interested in planting some.
Thanks for the info.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Pretty much everything in the woods love em. I had a lady come up to hunt and she filled a bag up and she said she was going to take them to her stand to feed the deer . She came back at dark mad as hell as the squirrels took her akerns and put them in a hollow. I still mess with her about that. In all honesty I think planting those trees were the best thing I have done for the wildlife on my farm followed closely by prescribed burns .

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have several 12 year old trees on my property, they are very different in the way they matured depending on the soil. If I were to do it again I would plant in groups of 4 or 5 in specific spots.
My trees are all gobbler sawtooth oaks, the smaller acorns.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I have several 12 year old trees on my property, they are very different in the way they matured depending on the soil. If I were to do it again I would plant in groups of 4 or 5 in specific spots.
My trees are all gobbler sawtooth oaks, the smaller acorns.

I’ve got 14 planted 25’ apart going down our driveway. About 350 yds from them, I’ve got 11 on the back side of my pasture. All are 5 years old but the ones in my pasture are all as big around as softballs and full with thick canopies. The ones on my driveway probably as a whole average out taller, but none are as thick and full as the ones in the pasture. Funny part is, I’ve fertilized the ones on my driveway and the ones in the pasture have never been fertilized.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i assume turkeys love them? if the wood goats dont eat them all?
Woods and water, darkthirty?
Turkeys love them.

Mine are around 20 yo. They are loaded every year. I’ve seeded and planted some off seeds of original trees after just five years.

If kept clean around you’ll see nuts in 4-5 years and heavy amounts within 7. I have Dunstan chestnuts planted and everything eats sawtooth acorns first.

Two negatives I’ve seen: acorns drop really early. So from hunting stand point best during bow season. And trees start dying out around 25-30 yo.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My sawtooth oaks have also had the biggest production this year that I have seen in a while. Both deer and turkeys have come up in the back yard hitting them. I raked up a polaris bed full of them and spread by our box blind.