Taking it to a new level

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I went in Harbor Freight this morning to buy a metal, folding, adjustable saw horse. Saw one on display before the lady asked if she could help me. Tagging along with her was what appeared to be a regional type boss. Me; “Yes ma’am I want one of these saw horses “. Her after looking underneath display, “That’s the last one we have “. Me, “Well I’ll just take that one I don’t care about a box”. Her, “We can’t sell that one it’s the last one “. Boss type man after looking at his hand held puter, “Looks like they have been discontinued so we won’t be getting any more “. Me, “So what’s the plans for this one? To just sit here forever “? They both looked at me like I was the damn idiot. I asked one more time just to be sure and they refused to sell me the last one of a discontinued item. It’s bad out there folks be aware.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Exact same situation with refrigerator at Lowes. That particular model is out of production, no more to be had, and they will not sell you the one sitting on the floor.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a different outcome at Home Depot. After much searching wifey found new lights for the kitchen. Of course only one was in stock, needed two, and they were discontinued. Asked bout buying the display. They took it down and sold it to me for $10 plus discounted the other.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
it really seems to depend on the store. 2 lowes in Greenville. One is alot better then the other. I believe it is a do as told versus common sense to be honest.

thandy

Ten Pointer
My wife and I bought a van a couple years ago... We went to the dealership to test drive one they had on the lot and didn't like it. When we pulled in I noticed a Honda van with no tags and ask about it. I was told they couldn't sale it they just took it in on trade and would either resale on the lot later or take to the sale. I had to go through a couple managers but they finally sold me the van. I haggled with them on the price pretty good... "well heck you are going to take it to the sale anyway I can save you commission"

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Bought a plastic cabinet from Lowe’s from Keter. Was kinda a piece of junk to begin with but it was just going on my mechanical room. Put it together and it didn’t have the handles. Emailed keter, they we’re going to send them. 2 weeks later get an email, won’t have any more handles. Gave me full refund. Screwed some old cabinet handles on.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
A friend had a very similar experience at Tractor Supply. Same situation.....last one, no longer carrying the item, can’t sell the display model. They were dealing with the wrong lady, as she’s a bit of a Karen at times. She escalated the situation all the way to a regional VP. They ended up giving her the item. 😂

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A friend had a very similar experience at Tractor Supply. Same situation.....last one, no longer carrying the item, can’t sell the display model. They were dealing with the wrong lady, as she’s a bit of a Karen at times. She escalated the situation all the way to a regional VP. They ended up giving her the item. 😂
TSC is funny like that. My wife worked there in college.

Usually the “discontinued display item” was ear marked for an employee. They refuse to sell the display model so that an employee can buy it at some ridiculously low price, 90%off or something, then add the TSC employee discount to that.

That’s how my FIL ended up with a Cannon gun safe for Christmas one year. At a cost to my wife of sixty odd dollars. Original price was over $600.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Some items cannot be sold for safety reasons. If you sell something that has been modified to display, or if a customer has removed parts and they have been replaced a retailer opens themselves up for a law suit. Overall it is cheaper to crush it than it is to get into legal issues. Not saying that is the reason for these cases but I have had some experience in this issue. Did you know for instance that if a customer unties a rope knot on an extension ladder that ladder has to be crushed. Store employees are not allowed to re-tie the knot and sell it. Liability issue.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I went in Harbor Freight this morning to buy a metal, folding, adjustable saw horse. Saw one on display before the lady asked if she could help me. Tagging along with her was what appeared to be a regional type boss. Me; “Yes ma’am I want one of these saw horses “. Her after looking underneath display, “That’s the last one we have “. Me, “Well I’ll just take that one I don’t care about a box”. Her, “We can’t sell that one it’s the last one “. Boss type man after looking at his hand held puter, “Looks like they have been discontinued so we won’t be getting any more “. Me, “So what’s the plans for this one? To just sit here forever “? They both looked at me like I was the damn idiot. I asked one more time just to be sure and they refused to sell me the last one of a discontinued item. It’s bad out there folks be aware.
I had a different outcome at Home Depot. After much searching wifey found new lights for the kitchen. Of course only one was in stock, needed two, and they were discontinued. Asked bout buying the display. They took it down and sold it to me for $10 plus discounted the other.
They must not like getting clear of things as much as I would. Make room for something else and sell what you have! Take it off the books - I don’t get it.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some items cannot be sold for safety reasons. If you sell something that has been modified to display, or if a customer has removed parts and they have been replaced a retailer opens themselves up for a law suit. Overall it is cheaper to crush it than it is to get into legal issues. Not saying that is the reason for these cases but I have had some experience in this issue. Did you know for instance that if a customer unties a rope knot on an extension ladder that ladder has to be crushed. Store employees are not allowed to re-tie the knot and sell it. Liability issue.
But yet they still do

I bought a returned ladder at Lowe’s a few years ago with no rope at all

Last edited:

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I saw some signs at Lowe’s that said it was against corporate policy to sell display models.... I needed a black over the range microwave and they were very low stocked but had 3 on display ... no go on the display even though I would have paid more for it then the one they gave me that was in stock.... I don’t get it

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
The law is: no driving under the influence but some people continue to drive. Every once in a while someone either gets caught or killed driving drunk and the cost is much more that getting Uber. The policy is not to sell tampered items to avoid litigation, some people still sell it.
I am not going to argue the point, I just wanted to share my experience.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
What about food in restaurants, or food in grocery stores? All of that has been tampered with and in grocery stores on display.

I understand the legal side of it but not the lack of common sense side of it. It's not easy living in a world where common sense has all but disappeared from everyday life.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
TSC is funny like that. My wife worked there in college.

Usually the “discontinued display item” was ear marked for an employee. They refuse to sell the display model so that an employee can buy it at some ridiculously low price, 90%off or something, then add the TSC employee discount to that.

That’s how my FIL ended up with a Cannon gun safe for Christmas one year. At a cost to my wife of sixty odd dollars. Original price was over $600.

excellent employee perk,,,,

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I'm thinking it is possible some display items have been written off for tax purposes, which would likely make it illegal to sell. Might be a company policy.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Lowe's used to sell display when out stock I've bought before but I guess they're policy has changed was in there last sat and they were out of item and would not sell me display guy said no way he could do it as I was trying talk him into it.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
excellent employee perk,,,,
In her case, it certainly was.
On the other hand, they do their customers decent too. Our local TSC had a 700 gal stock tank that had a dent along the bottom which had caused a small hole, around 1” or so. My FIL’s neighbor bought it for $50 bucks. Dropped it off at a metal shop and they fixed it for $100. So he got a $500 tank for $150

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Communication goes a long way. If it's a liability issue, say so. If it's been altered, say so. If it's been written off for taxes, say so.

There are sometimes underlying reasons why a person or business might take an illogical approach, but the other party will feel a lot better about it, if you simply communicate your reasoning.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I'm thinking it is possible some display items have been written off for tax purposes, which would likely make it illegal to sell. Might be a company policy.
Tax write off does not make it illegal to sell, just have to report the profit...

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Communication goes a long way. If it's a liability issue, say so. If it's been altered, say so. If it's been written off for taxes, say so.

There are sometimes underlying reasons why a person or business might take an illogical approach, but the other party will feel a lot better about it, if you simply communicate your reasoning.
Nope, and nope. Plenty of companies pride themselves on the "We don't have to give a reason" mantra . Ask anyone who has lost a job for "no reason." Not giving a reason keeps their options open, in case things change

Clark

Ten Pointer
It would if you had already taken it off as a loss.
No. If you have already written it off as a loss, then your basis is zero. If you then sell it, your gain would be the selling price less tax basis (of zero), therefore taxable gain = selling price.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
the chinese put spyware in most everything you buy at northern tools,,,,,,,,,

just sayin'

They can spy on our job box daily conversations. They will only learn how far apart our J hooks need to be and how high our workers need to be before being tied off. Screw China. And Walmart for that matter.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I NEVER shot at harbor freight......Or Walmart.

I do shop at Northern Tools though.

Problem solved ;).
I’m a fan of Northern Tool myself. We bought some Klutch brand wrenches (Northern’ sin house brand) for a small project expansion a few years ago. I’ve been fairly impressed with them at their price point. I’ve broken a couple, but these were replaced in store no questions asked. I broke one of their offset wrenches that only comes in a set. They just swapped me out a whole new set for my one broken wrench.