Taking a different tack this fall.....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought a really nice 10' Pelican kayak and rigged it out awhile back but now, facing shoulder surgery, I realized I ain't the paddling type anymore. Happened onto this little 2-man boat being advertised a few weeks ago, came with two seats and both a 36# and 50# Minn Kota trolling motor. (LMBO! The smaller trolling motor quit working one afternoon and the owner didn't stop to think maybe his battery was dead so he bought another one....)I couldn't have bought either one of the trolling motors for what he wanted for the whole rig so needless to say I jumped on it.

It was a little too heavy to get up into the bed of my Ram alone, even empty, but only because the truck sits so high. I started asking around and a friend told me if I'd come get this little galvanized trailer out of his yard I could have it...free. Two valve stems, two heavy duty deep-cycle marine batteries, and a small winch later here's what I came up with. Trolley system is on order. Gonna use the 50 to run to my spots and the 36 to move around them....

My brother and I took it out Sunday morning and even with two in the boat it was dry and extremely stable. Looks like this will be my hunting/fishing rig this fall....

Attachments

• 10E1.jpg
    10E1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 10E2.jpg
    10E2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 81

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, there's plenty in the Neuse these days that could do that, I watched a 6'-7' bull shark cruising the jetty in Oriental a little while back....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
there is one across the river from you for sale and he is asking almost as much as he paid for it a decade ago.
You gotta deal.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hope so buddy. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to traverse a little low area on my sister's place to get it into Trent Creek. It got torn up pretty bad during Florence so it looks like chainsaw time but I know where there are some great trout holes on that creek and it just so happens that it borders my hunting land. Two birds...one stone!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think I've got her where I want her now. Found this online this afternoon and snatched it up. 1981, clean as a pin, been in freshwater all of it's life, and this little four horse weight just about the same as a heavy duty deep cycle.........

4horse.jpg

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice! You don’t find many small motors for sale that are that clean. New or old.

You’ll be much happier with that gas engine than the TM. Then you don’t need so much battery for the TM once you get there and much less chance that you get stranded. Those batteries can go down quick on you.

LR, I have just the boat you need for one man, and I’ve just about outgrown it. 13’ gheenoe. Moves through the back waters like a dream.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Nice! You don’t find many small motors for sale that are that clean. New or old.

Know a fellow who hast two different 1950s / 1960s era 3 hp motors for sale - rebuilt and repainted and looking/ running good!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LR, I have just the boat you need for one man, and I’ve just about outgrown it. 13’ gheenoe. Moves through the back waters like a dream.
Thinking I'm boat poor right now buddy! Two Pelicans, a 17' Grumman canoe, and an 18' Cajun Center console with a 115 Suzuki I'm working on. I do have a friend who's looking, I'll let him know....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm just planting the seed. I know how you are, and you'll be tinkering with that thing until it's the best pond barge it can be and then you'll be looking for something just a little bit better. I'm just telling you these 13-15' Gheenoe/River Hawk boats with a 4-9 HP motor are the ticket for one man. I wish I lived down that way just so I could take it in those creeks.

I rebuilt mine completely with decks, storage, FF, TM mount, plumbed live well with timer, pedestal seats, etc. I've got the FF and live well pump isolated with 2, 12V feeder batteries, then a medium sized 50 Ah battery for the TM.

I'm not ready to get rid of mine just yet, but I've got 3 boys and I can only take one at a time, so very soon I will have to make a major upgrade.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"I'm just planting the seed. I know how you are, and you'll be tinkering with that thing until it's the best pond barge it can be and then you'll be looking for something just a little bit better. "
Yep, that's what I do, but when I get this one done the next project is that Cajun Fishmaster. She's 18'6" with an 8' beam. Hopefully she'll be pulling a 28' trawl next season for shrimp for the freezer.....