Take Action - NCDMF Shrimp Fishery Plan

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Comment here

Don’t be a dick. Nobody listens.

The plan

Pour yourself a drink, have a skim.

Getting the nets out of inshore waters has made a difference everywhere. It’s better for commercial & recreational fishing. There are only a very, very few people that are against this, and they’re buying their influence.

A complete inshore closure is still possible, so is doing nothing.

By the way, Flounder rules are staying the same. They didn’t solve anything last year, but by golly they’re gonna work this time.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Comment here

Don’t be a dick. Nobody listens.

The plan

Pour yourself a drink, have a skim.

Getting the nets out of inshore waters has made a difference everywhere. It’s better for commercial & recreational fishing. There are only a very, very few people that are against this, and they’re buying their influence.

A complete inshore closure is still possible, so is doing nothing.

By the way, Flounder rules are staying the same. They didn’t solve anything last year, but by golly they’re gonna work this time.

Here is the info page, probably find everything you need from there.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Please explain to me how NC commercial fishermen will benefit from a complete net ban. How do you propose they will catch fish without using any kind of nets.

Right now, NC has the best trout and drum fishing in decades. Flounder are :donk:donk:donk deep to giraffe but they won’t let you all keep them. All this has gotten better with current net regulations but y’all still “need” them gone.

Last edited:

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Please explain to me how NC commercial fishermen will benefit from a complete net ban. How do you propose they will catch fish without using any kind of nets.

Right now, NC has the best trout and drum fishing in decades. Flounder are :donk:donk:donk to giraffe but they won’t let you all keep them. All this has gotten better with current net regulations but y’all still “need” them gone.
Not to change the subject, but I sure wish I could keep more than one drum per day, legally.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Not to change the subject, but I sure wish I could keep more than one drum per day, legally.
Food for thought...
If the 250,000 landings cap on the commercial side were given to the rec side, that aint a heck of a lot of fish per rec angler. Your share of their total take would be about 4 ounces if we divide it up for a million rec anglers in nc...if my math is right

Justin

Old Mossy Horns

Right now, NC has the best trout and drum fishing in decades. Flounder are :donk:donk:donk to giraffe but they won’t let you all keep them. All this has gotten better with current net regulations but y’all still “need” them gone.

👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼💯

They’re wanting to wear masks to flatten the curve. Same mentality

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

There are no other ways to catch fish.

But let’s keep overfishing and making this same all or none argument.

Right now, NC has the best trout and drum fishing in decades. Flounder are :donk:donk:donk to giraffe but they won’t let you all keep them.

If by decades, you mean the last 20 years, maybe. Otherwise, no.

And since I’ve lived and fished in other places, I can tell you it isn’t as good as it can be.
All this has gotten better with current net regulations but y’all still “need” them gone.

No it hasn’t gotten better and who is y’all?

The commercial fishery here sucks.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Food for thought...
If the 250,000 landings cap on the commercial side were given to the rec side, that aint a heck of a lot of fish per rec angler. Your share of their total take would be about 4 ounces if we divide it up for a million rec anglers in nc...if my math is right

Imagine all those poor redfish in Asheville getting quartered by your math.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Then go fish those places and leave ours alone? There’s plenty for anyone with enough sense to know how to catch them. It really doesn’t seem like hard logic.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
No it hasn’t gotten better and who is y’all?
The recreational trout and drum fishery hasn’t gotten better than it was in the past?

Y’all is the handful of people that want to eliminate the commercial fishery.

Your original post says it will make the “commercial” and recreational fisheries better by eliminating nets. Then in this post you tell us there is no other way to commercially harvest fish. How is that going to make the commercial fishery better?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
NC is the only state that allows nets in the estuaries. There is plenty of ocean available without killing millions of juvenile fish every year in the Pamlico.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Imagine all those poor redfish in Asheville getting quartered by your math.
Clever. And how'bout you amazing us with all your qualifications and local knowledge of our coastal estuaries and why what you think holds more water than those who grew up on them and fish them daily? Until then you're just another one of the Weekend Navy who gets here at 9am, is back having lunch at 11, and whining about the comms because they can't catch a limit.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
As long as folks buy seafood at their local grocery store or restaurant this whole argument is moot. Just say "NO" to commercially caught seafood and go out and catch that one fish you are allowed to legally keep. :LOL:

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Then go fish those places and leave ours alone? There’s plenty for anyone with enough sense to know how to catch them. It really doesn’t seem like hard logic.

Ours? LOL

I have no problem catching fish. That isn't the point.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
The recreational trout and drum fishery hasn’t gotten better than it was in the past?

Y’all is the handful of people that want to eliminate the commercial fishery.

Your original post says it will make the “commercial” and recreational fisheries better by eliminating nets. Then in this post you tell us there is no other way to commercially harvest fish. How is that going to make the commercial fishery better?

Have you not noticed the trout rules?

Then you're talking to the wrong guy. I have no inclination toward eliminating the commercial fishery.

It's pretty easy to scroll up and actually read my original post without saying I said we eliminate nets. I said inshore.

...and in the actual post you replied too didn't say there is no other way.

might be a better discussion if we stick to the topic, facts, and data.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Clever. And how'bout you amazing us with all your qualifications and local knowledge of our coastal estuaries and why what you think holds more water than those who grew up on them and fish them daily? Until then you're just another one of the Weekend Navy who gets here at 9am, is back having lunch at 11, and whining about the comms because they can't catch a limit.

I have no problem catching my limit.

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
All the new MRIP recreational landing data shows how the annual RECREATIONAL DISCARDS alone are higher than the entire commercial quota on many species of fish harvested on the east coast (bluefish, king mackerel, red drum) That’s not to mention what is also recreationally harvested.

Commercial fishermen (especially gillnet fishermen) have very little discard. They use the size nets need to catch legal sized fish and weed out most smaller fish. Lots of state and federal observer data to support it.

Recreational anglers have the largest percentage of quota in most fisheries on the east coast, yet the recreational side keeps wanting the commercial fishermen gone.

People in this great country want to eat seafood. Let the highly regulated, leader of the world in sustainable fisheries, self employed, commercial fishermen of the United States of America catch them for us so we don’t have to buy junk seafood sent from unregulated communist countries where the government owns about everything and doesn’t give a crap about anything sustainable or safe and sanitary for Americans to eat!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All the new MRIP recreational landing data shows how the annual RECREATIONAL DISCARDS alone are higher than the entire commercial quota on many species of fish harvested on the east coast (bluefish, king mackerel, red drum) That’s not to mention what is also recreationally harvested.

Commercial fishermen (especially gillnet fishermen) have very little discard. They use the size nets need to catch legal sized fish and weed out most smaller fish. Lots of state and federal observer data to support it.

Recreational anglers have the largest percentage of quota in most fisheries on the east coast, yet the recreational side keeps wanting the commercial fishermen gone.

People in this great country want to eat seafood. Let the highly regulated, leader of the world in sustainable fisheries, self employed, commercial fishermen of the United States of America catch them for us so we don’t have to buy junk seafood sent from unregulated communist countries where the government owns about everything and doesn’t give a crap about anything sustainable or safe and sanitary for Americans to eat!
Well said.....

got my vote. f the recreational fishermen

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sure they exist, but I've never met a recreational fisherman that wants commercial fishermen gone.

(greenpeace, et al are a different story)

ive heard they same thing from the left about gun control.... they don’t want guns banned, just more laws, restrictions and hoops to jump through to help makes things better. Creative denial.
Question, how do you feel about CCA and NCWF?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm at a loss here. Exactly what do you think needs "reinvigorating"? We're butt deep in flounder but can't keep any and by your own admission everything they've proposed to date concerning that fishery sucks. I can catch a limit of stripers most any time I want to and myself and friends that target trout are catching their limit before lunch during our normal season.....

Again, by your own admission you can catch a limit anytime you want so basically I think most of us are sitting here throughout this debacle trying to figure out exactly what the hell you're complaining about....

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
ive heard they same thing from the left about gun control.... they don’t want guns banned, just more laws, restrictions and hoops to jump through to help makes things better. Creative denial.
Question, how do you feel about CCA and NCWF?

there's an arguable difference between gun control and the use of natural resources. 2nd amendment is pretty straightforward (no matter how they try to hash it).

I think the CCA guys seems to have the right goals. The NCWF folks worry me.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I'm at a loss here. Exactly what do you think needs "reinvigorating"? We're butt deep in flounder but can't keep any and by your own admission everything they've proposed to date concerning that fishery sucks. I can catch a limit of stripers most any time I want to and myself and friends that target trout are catching their limit before lunch during our normal season.....

Again, by your own admission you can catch a limit anytime you want so basically I think most of us are sitting here throughout this debacle trying to figure out exactly what the hell you're complaining about....

the reason our limits are so small is our fishery isn't as strong as it could be. Same is happening to my brother in LA, they're getting ready to lower their trout limits from 25/15. Their flounder limit is 10, reds are 5.

commercial fisherman should be making bank considering the physical resources of our sounds and rivers, but the whole thing is a mess.