Take Action - NCDMF Shrimp Fishery Plan

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
the reason our limits are so small is our fishery isn't as strong as it could be. Same is happening to my brother in LA, they're getting ready to lower their trout limits from 25/15. Their flounder limit is 10, reds are 5.

commercial fisherman should be making bank considering the physical resources of our sounds and rivers, but the whole thing is a mess.
Shaking my head. That entire response is the sportsman's equivalent of "Orange Man Bad". What the State is doing isn't working, you can't come up with a specific reason for this perceived decline or a solution to it....but we just gotta do something anyway.

You want to make a positive impact on our fisheries? Put a moratorium on these massive encroachments being built at the very edge of our estuaries. Monitor and fine the hell out of any homeowner, subdivision, or municipality whose sewage and runoff hits our waters. We have massive spills and coastal waters with swimming advisories regularly. If it's harmful to people you can't make me believe it's not affecting the fishery.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
not that I think inshore trawling is a GOOD thing, but banning it won’t bring the grass back either. We’ve had grass since we’ve had trawling, and in areas that wasn’t trawled, but it’s still disappearing. Can’t tell me that’s a good thing.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Shaking my head. That entire response is the sportsman's equivalent of "Orange Man Bad". What the State is doing isn't working, you can't come up with a specific reason for this perceived decline or a solution to it....but we just gotta do something anyway.

You want to make a positive impact on our fisheries? Put a moratorium on these massive encroachments being built at the very edge of our estuaries. Monitor and fine the hell out of any homeowner, subdivision, or municipality whose sewage and runoff hits our waters. We have massive spills and coastal waters with swimming advisories regularly. If it's harmful to people you can't make me believe it's not affecting the fishery.

Shaking my head. You can’t do better than compare me to the orange man bad folks.

I don’t disagree with your second paragraph. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look at other problems.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
not that I think inshore trawling is a GOOD thing, but banning it won’t bring the grass back either. We’ve had grass since we’ve had trawling, and in areas that wasn’t trawled, but it’s still disappearing. Can’t tell me that’s a good thing.

We have lots of problems, some with obvious causes, some we’re uncertain of.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Shaking my head. You can’t do better than compare me to the orange man bad folks.

I don’t disagree with your second paragraph. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look at other problems.

Well, stop acting like them! If there's blame there's plenty of it to be passed around but your focus apparently is on the comms while forgetting that recs have their fair share of liability.
Which other problems? I'd sure like to hear your list of these obvious causes. A possible solution or two would be nice as well.....

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Have you not noticed the trout rules?

Then you're talking to the wrong guy. I have no inclination toward eliminating the commercial fishery.

It's pretty easy to scroll up and actually read my original post without saying I said we eliminate nets. I said inshore.

...and in the actual post you replied too didn't say there is no other way.

might be a better discussion if we stick to the topic, facts, and data.

What's wrong with the trout rules?

Woods and water

Ten Pointer

I agree . I've seen the waters I grew up on clamming and oystering be closed to harvest because of water quality. I was recently talking with a shellfish biologist and he stated that Brunswick county should be broke from paying fines but has never heard of a fine imposed. Seems no one gives a damn about the water . Down here it's all about development no matter the cost to the resources

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sure they exist, but I've never met a recreational fisherman that wants commercial fishermen gone.

(greenpeace, et al are a different story)
you aint talked to many have you?
They want them gone from sight and mind so they can kill more themselves. Greedy newcomers wanting to disrupt the natives.
Damndest Catch 22 in angling. One faction of recs raises hell at the other while both have jumped on the comms for years and years.
i listened to their whining in a tackle store for a long time, now it's even easier on the www.
"Make them stop so I can kill more." LOLZ," I'm selling out if I cant gig 50 a night."
OR "get rid of those CCA :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donks- they are limiting my ability to kill flounder/trout/drum."
Meanwhile those that like to fish are laughing their asses off while catching plenty of everything that swims. Quietly keeping their own produced "by product" catch. You catch enough you gonna hook some that will be dead by the time you put them back.
Guides cant keep up with the demand.
They really will be busy when the nets come out of the sounds. :)

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I agree . I've seen the waters I grew up on clamming and oystering be closed to harvest because of water quality. I was recently talking with a shellfish biologist and he stated that Brunswick county should be broke from paying fines but has never heard of a fine imposed. Seems no one gives a damn about the water . Down here it's all about development no matter the cost to the resources

It isn’t just Brunswick though. How much nitrogen, etc. are all of us in the Piedmont sending downstream? Everyone loves to pnt fingers at the farmers, but every farmer I’ve known for years wants to minimize expense on any applications and meters it best they can.

Meanwhile Freddy Fescue in the burbs is burning a hole in his wallet to keep his lawn green and weed free. (Don’t get me wrong, I love a nice Bermuda yard, but I’m not going for the Augusta National look here!). Also, does the once a quarter beach mansion really need a putting green for a yard? While on the one hand you stabilize the sand on the other you get huge beach erosion.

Not to mention everything else that runs off from our parking lots, etc. There’s a lot to be said for grave roads, sand yards, and oyster shell driveways from the old days. At least when I was a kid, we could surf after it rained. Our place in Walton County FL is now a giant resort, paved from end to end.

I’m a ranty old man today.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

folks treat the water like they do the sides of roads,,,, trashed,,,,,,,

Last edited:

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
It isn’t just Brunswick though. How much nitrogen, etc. are all of us in the Piedmont sending downstream? Everyone loves to pnt fingers at the farmers, but every farmer I’ve known for years wants to minimize expense on any applications and meters it best they can.

Meanwhile Freddy Fescue in the burbs is burning a hole in his wallet to keep his lawn green and weed free. (Don’t get me wrong, I love a nice Bermuda yard, but I’m not going for the Augusta National look here!). Also, does the once a quarter beach mansion really need a putting green for a yard? While on the one hand you stabilize the sand on the other you get huge beach erosion.

Not to mention everything else that runs off from our parking lots, etc. There’s a lot to be said for grave roads, sand yards, and oyster shell driveways from the old days. At least when I was a kid, we could surf after it rained. Our place in Walton County FL is now a giant resort, paved from end to end.

I’m a ranty old man today.
Yep alot comes down the cape fear from inland . The waters I was speaking of is another river however. The biologist told me he couldn't believe the county was allowed to build sewage spray fields beside the tributaries flowing into the river. I just asked " you ain't from around here are you? " He responded no and said whoever designed it wasn't either. I pointed across the river and said a local lives there part time now, he moved when he sold that land to the county for the spray fields. Dude was really disappointed at the water quality in the river.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
It's like that with all the beach towns. I got tickled about all the homeowners in Southern Shores that got they're panties in a bundle about the "mini hotels". There were a couple houses built that maximized the number of bedrooms and they whined to end about how much pollution the septic tanks were going to release during a storm. Completely oblivious to their septic tank doing that everytime there's a good rain.