Tags & youth hunters

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know who to go to with questions about regs then.
Not really, it has been so long since when I worked for the state we carried two big hard copy GS catalogs in our vehicles to look up the numbers to write down on citations if it was an uncommon one we didn't know. That was back before computers in vehicles. Then I went to the feds. I have been retired from them over 10 years. Much has changed since then. That is exactly why I read the regs digest and look at the online page regularly. I do remember much of the old stuff but quite a bit of that has been amended or completely outdated.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It has been too long since my son started hunting with me but I was thinking that "way back then", the early 80s, there was no such thing as a Big Game Report Card for a youth, or any one else for that reason. As has been discussed here before, after the harvest, you took your deer to the country store or other check in station and registered it. The youth hunted under your supervision without a license until 16 or 18 I think. The deer that they took while underage was registered just like any one else but wasn't required to have a tag. The NCWRC was still able to keep up with the harvests by the registration process and your word was good that the kid had taken the deer. As I said, I don't remember when it changed but just like a lot of things, if you don't keep up and read the regulations EVERY year you can get caught operating on outdated information. And like nccatfisher has stated, the "I thought it was ........" or "I was told that ..............." won't get very far with an enforcement officer.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
They started hunting yet

Nope. I don’t hunt anymore either. Just surf fish these days. She doesn’t get to go much with school schedule but occasionally if we summer vacation at the beach. Some times she man’s her own rod. Some times I pass one off while she’s doing kid stuff and I get bit.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It has been too long since my son started hunting with me but I was thinking that "way back then", the early 80s, there was no such thing as a Big Game Report Card for a youth, or any one else for that reason. As has been discussed here before, after the harvest, you took your deer to the country store or other check in station and registered it. The youth hunted under your supervision without a license until 16 or 18 I think. The deer that they took while underage was registered just like any one else but wasn't required to have a tag. The NCWRC was still able to keep up with the harvests by the registration process and your word was good that the kid had taken the deer. As I said, I don't remember when it changed but just like a lot of things, if you don't keep up and read the regulations EVERY year you can get caught operating on outdated information. And like nccatfisher has stated, the "I thought it was ........" or "I was told that ..............." won't get very far with an enforcement officer.
Even back then it was 16. But you could get tags in the 80s for youth and landowners that were exempt. You just called WRC or went to any license agent, they printed them off on that old ticker tape machine that was forever giving problems.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Nope. I don’t hunt anymore either. Just surf fish these days. She doesn’t get to go much with school schedule but occasionally if we summer vacation at the beach. Some times she man’s her own rod. Some times I pass one off while she’s doing kid stuff and I get bit.
Somehow I figured that. You got a pretty strong opinion about something you haven’t done. Have you ever helped her reel a fish in or bait the hook or cast?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As has been discussed here before, after the harvest, you took your deer to the country store or other check in station and registered it. The youth hunted under your supervision without a license until 16 or 18 I think. The deer that they took while underage was registered just like any one else but wasn't required to have a tag. The NCWRC was still able to keep up with the harvests by the registration process and your word was good that the kid had taken the deer.

That is the way I recall it happening in the '90's. Not sure if that was the correct way, but that's the way I saw it done. You went to a physical check station, told them the kid killed it, and they registered it. Back then there wasn't a BGRC, there were tags. You may have been supposed to get youth tags, but you didn't use the adult tags. They have since made it much more clear how it should be done.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Somehow I figured that. You got a pretty strong opinion about something you haven’t done. Have you ever helped her reel a fish in or bait the hook or cast?

Hmmmm I guess prior to divorce, having a step son that I took hunting, but not until he was able to hold, aim, and shoot on his own, doesn’t count? I practiced what you deem as preaching. Regardless, I got as bout as many damns to give about what someone thinks of my opinion on the matter as a wet paper sack that’s been in the rain for three days will hold.

As for my daughter and fishing, I’ve done both. She’s capable. If she wants to fish, I let her do it, but don’t pass on the opportunity to pass the rod off if I hook up.

I told you it wasn’t a popular opinion. I don’t really care if you think it’s hypocritical for me to differentiate hunting and fishing. I think the biggest difference for me is the fact a firearm is involved in one, and in some weird sense, it’s a right of passage as a boy into a fledgling man (child to adult for the gender sensitive), to be able to use a firearm, capable of taking a life, without someone else holding and aiming it for me. Never equated any of that when it came to fishing.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is the way I recall it happening in the '90's. Not sure if that was the correct way, but that's the way I saw it done. You went to a physical check station, told them the kid killed it, and they registered it. Back then there wasn't a BGRC, there were tags. You may have been supposed to get youth tags, but you didn't use the adult tags. They have since made it much more clear how it should be done.
Technically they were supposed to get tags from license agents. Cooperator agents were instructed to write up the kill if they didn't have their own tags or if it was a landowner and they didn't have tags and either write "youth" or "landowner" across it. It was their (WRCs) stance that it was better to have the deer reported than not and it wasn't the cooperator agents place one way or another to get in the middle about not having a tag as they had no athority.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Until my son, currently 5, can hold, aim and pull the trigger on his own he will not be allowed to shoot at a deer. He is plenty capable with the 22 but we are working with the crossbow and suppressed 300 blackout. I will let him use shooting sticks just like I would but I will not rob him of his first memories of killing a deer by himself. I share similar opinions to Justin in fishing is different but my 5 year old is a better fisherman than me anyway and has actually handed me a rod lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You retired game warden?

picture of @nccatfisher at his retirement party "back in the day",,,

1924_thmb.jpg

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
my 5 year old is a better fisherman

my 5 year old grandson is a hoot fishing,,,so excited,,,,and loud (loves singing and hearing his voice echo) but lucky is the word,,,that boy catches fish

but his brother (10 years old) beat him last night,,,but they both had fun

“J”

Twelve Pointer
my 5 year old grandson is a hoot fishing,,,so excited,,,,and loud (loves singing and hearing his voice echo) but lucky is the word,,,that boy catches fish

but his brother (10 years old) beat him last night,,,but they both had fun
That’s what it’s all about right there....

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Must not comment on @Justin not hunting. :) :) :)

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Nontypical, I'll chime in once and then shut up. The main purpose for requiring a report card (tags) for all hunters and registration of big game animals is to collect data that can be used to manage said animals. If you have registered an animal lately, you have noticed the data string associated with the harvest: sex of kill, county, weapon, hunting method etc. This information will be linked to the WRC customer number so that all this data can be parsed for a multitude of purposes. It is one of the most useful tools the WRC has for properly managing our big game resources. I would hope that since you love hunting enough to involve your children that you also realize that the future of hunting lies with them. The future of viable game populations also relies on the wildlife agencies' ability to properly manage them through seasons, bag lengths, etc.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
hat since you love hunting enough to involve your children
Make no mistake about it, I love my kids enough to spend time with them. Hunting is my hobby, they may never like it as much as I do. It's my job to find what they like and support them at it.

Still, I repeat, if my kid uses one of my tags, how is that not still managing big game resources?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Still, I repeat, if my kid uses one of my tags, how is that not still managing big game resources?

Data is useless if it's not accurate. For best management, they need to know how many hunters are actively hunting and who is shooting that deer. That way, when they go to make a change like going from 4 buck "tags" to 2, they will be able to better predict how that will affect the resource. They will know the breakdown of youth hunters vs. adult hunters and their rates of contribution to the harvest. If you let 2 sons shoot bucks on your tags, and you ended up filling all 4 in the eastern zone, it looks like you are a very successful hunter, and your buck harvest would be cut in half by going to 2 bucks. If your sons either start using their own tags or "graduate" to adult status, they change the numbers. As far as the state knew, only one person was shooting those deer, and there were actually 3. Regulation changes are made slowly, and they aren't just for this year, but for the future.

Another example is turkey tags. It's very useful for the state to understand how many hunters fill 1 tag vs. 2 vs. none, and what the success rate is. There's more to management than just the total harvest for the state. The more they can break it down, the better they can analyze what is going on. That's the same reason why they ask you the county, private/game land, weapon, sex, etc.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Data is useless if it's not accurate. For best management, they need to know how many hunters are actively hunting and who is shooting that deer. That way, when they go to make a change like going from 4 buck "tags" to 2, they will be able to better predict how that will affect the resource. They will know the breakdown of youth hunters vs. adult hunters and their rates of contribution to the harvest. If you let 2 sons shoot bucks on your tags, and you ended up filling all 4 in the eastern zone, it looks like you are a very successful hunter, and your buck harvest would be cut in half by going to 2 bucks. If your sons either start using their own tags or "graduate" to adult status, they change the numbers. As far as the state knew, only one person was shooting those deer, and there were actually 3. Regulation changes are made slowly, and they aren't just for this year, but for the future.

Another example is turkey tags. It's very useful for the state to understand how many hunters fill 1 tag vs. 2 vs. none, and what the success rate is. There's more to management than just the total harvest for the state. The more they can break it down, the better they can analyze what is going on. That's the same reason why they ask you the county, private/game land, weapon, sex, etc.

You’re wasting your breath @sky hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Data would be better if a special turkey stamp and deer stamp were required of hunters, just like the bear management e-stamp is.

nontypical

Ten Pointer

Now that makes since. Thanks!