tactacam reveal issues

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've had this cam out for well over a year and haven't had issues that I knew of.
But sitting in the stand and watching deer in front of the camera, but no pics. 2 days I a row. I've played with settings and such and I seemed ok, but apparently not. it captures me if I step in front but I have seen deer in front twice now with no pics.
I'm goi g to move it and see what happens.
anyone else have issues that the know of?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it's the Reveal there's an update that has to be loaded to the firmware.
I'm working the bugs out on another Reveal X this morning, thankfully it's in my backyard so it's convenient to do so. It wasn't taking but one picture per day with the sensitivity up to 9.
You may want to make sure delay is off, work is off, reset sensitivity to a higher number. Make sure the SD card is formatted and batteries are fresh.
I think these are great cameras for the price, but they are quirky.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
done all of the above but will recheck the update. it takes pictures of my fat arse just fine. šŸ˜„ just not the deer

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
When attaching to tree, and am setting up, I take a bucket/object and sit out in front of it and make sure it will take a picture of it....get it focused so it at correct angle to take a picture....right/left and up/down.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
it is picking up movement and taking pics. but did not pick up this particular deer to days in a row as I watched. I even walked in the same exact spot after the deer was thru yesterday and it picked me up immediately. just really odd.
I will fool with it some more.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
I think I may have the same issue. Got mine setup up on where a main creek crossing is with white oaks dropping. Tons of tracks everywhere, but only one picture of a deer. Multiple pictures of nothing every day. It picks me up easily. Let me know if you figure out the issue. Iā€™ve changed the sensitivity every day to try it and nothings working.

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
The only logical solution is that the camera is angled up such that it is picking you up because you are taller than a deer but shooting over the top of the deer's back. I doubt that is the answer but nothing else seems to make sense.

I have had camera's take my picture after replacing the card and never get another picture. Come back, corn is gone, and 1 picture. They are hard to figure out sometimes.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have noticed that I needed to set my Reveal cams lower on a tree than I do my brownings.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just got off the phone with customer service after an hour wait on hold. The guy said my new camera had a weak PIV sensor and should be picking me up farther than 22 feet...yep ..
He wanted me to pull the sd card and make sure there's not more images there than I've received, there wasn't.
I'm not expecting a call...but I'm calling them if I don't hear from them.
I moved the camera down to about 2 feet above the ground, it's taken two pictures of rabbits so far since I moved it an hour ago.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Update...
The guy I spoke to yesterday never completed the call template, never emailed me or called like he said he would. I waited on hold almost a solid hour today before I spoke to another guy who completed the template, sent me the email for a return RMA and said the turn around is about 10 days total.
I did get lots of rabbit pictures last night and a fox picture, no deer but they may not have come. Hard to say definitely but if I was having detection issues but still getting pictures of myself at 40-50 feet I'd place the camera lower in the tree(2 feet or so) and call it good.
The fact that 22 feet was max detection range tells me that my camera is not working correctly.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BTW...just an FYI, the rep said that the new Reveal cameras, the updated ones with the solar panel/rechargeable battery built in and the instant image option as well as on demand video will be available in stores in 3-4 weeks if all goes well. That's one that I plan to buy at some point, they will be somewhere in the $200 range.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well this camera is going back after a fight with customer service on who was paying to send it back. What terrible service.
I can't recommend Tactacam because of poor quality control and horrible customer service.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got my Reveal x put out this Sunday. When camera checks in for Daily check it resets my 2 send pics times to nothing. Any ideas. Thanks.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well this camera is going back after a fight with customer service on who was paying to send it back. What terrible service.
I can't recommend Tactacam because of poor quality control and horrible customer service.

I hate to hear that, when I talked to customer service about the issue I was having, they told me to send it back and promptly emailed me a prepaid shipping label.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hate to hear that, when I talked to customer service about the issue I was having, they told me to send it back and promptly emailed me a prepaid shipping label.
They sent me an emailed return label with ME responsible for paying return shipping, it was only after fighting with them and a lot of hard feelings that he agreed to send me a pre-paid label .

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got my Reveal x put out this Sunday. When camera checks in for Daily check it resets my 2 send pics times to nothing. Any ideas. Thanks.
I have to reset mine a few times, but that's the way that they look when you do it right...the times disappear after you put them in but the camera accepts it.