Swan Permit

ahales

Four Pointer
Is it your first time hunting them? Do you apply in hopes of getting meat or looking to get one mounted? I’ve thought about applying. Sure ain’t got nowhere in the house tp put that thing. Never had any swan, is it any good?

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Is it your first time hunting them? Do you apply in hopes of getting meat or looking to get one mounted? I’ve thought about applying. Sure ain’t got nowhere in the house tp put that thing. Never had any swan, is it any good?
Some people don't care for the meat but we love it. If you treat the breasts like a steak and cook in in a skillet it is tasty. Salt Pepper and Butter.

My son wants to mount his this year. We will see.

Big reason we like hunting them is it is a great family outing and we get to hang out with great friends.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I ate mine last year, huge breasts. Seared it in a skillet like a steak and it was delicious. I applied just for the experience. Not like any other waterfowling I’ve done, big stupid birds that would try to land even while we were standing in the middle of the decoys. Not to mention, it sounds like a mattress being tossed out of a 3rd floor window when it hits the ground. Maybe not something I’d do every year but it’s something I’d recommend trying at least once.

ahales

Four Pointer
sounds like a good time like most duck hunts! Do most people got with an outfitter to hunt or are there some decent public land options? I’ve seen some guides boasting something like 95% success rate. I’m guessing there must be tons of birds down there. I actually saw a few flocks up in northern Sampson co last year. First time I’ve seen them up my way.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
sounds like a good time like most duck hunts! Do most people got with an outfitter to hunt or are there some decent public land options? I’ve seen some guides boasting something like 95% success rate. I’m guessing there must be tons of birds down there. I actually saw a few flocks up in northern Sampson co last year. First time I’ve seen them up my way.
I’ve seen swans on one certain chunk of public land every time I’ve hunted that area, most I probably could’ve gotten a shot at. But it sounds like that’s just been raw luck and not to be expected, even on that tract. Outfitters are the way to go, and most are “no shot no pay”.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I've killed a few swan over the years while hunting public. Never targeted them, just happened to get lucky and be be duckin at the right place and time. More years than not i don't get to use the permit that way.

This year we will target them for the first time. I'm trying to get my daughter-in-law on a bird and hope a local guide will make that work.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
There really isn’t much to it if you do it in a field. Over water is a very challenging task depending on wind and set up. Years ago I wanted my first one to be over water and took 2 days to get it right but we were doing a diy with only a small
Handful of decoys. Every time since it was over a field and it was mindless. I’ve seen them decoy to a white truck sitting in the middle of a field before.

Cripplecreek

Six Pointer
A full swan is big and expensive. These are good alternatives if you want to save space and $$

Attachments

• 20211117_104457.jpg
    20211117_104457.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 23

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
I used to hunt with Currituck guide out near Grandy and he cld mouth call em with the best. It was always fun shooting em over water and watch dogs bring em in. 71722BC7-B16E-4C59-892A-5D1919EC596E.jpeg

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I used to hunt with Currituck guide out near Grandy and he cld mouth call em with the best. It was always fun shooting em over water and watch dogs bring em in. View attachment 78870
We used to shoot them in Currituck all of the time. A few swan decoys where in pretty much everyones rig. The numbers have gone way down in the last 10 years or so. Not sure why. We dont run any more swan decoys and dont see many at all anymore, though I do think you could kill some if you have a decent swan decoy rig.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
We used to shoot them in Currituck all of the time. A few swan decoys where in pretty much everyones rig. The numbers have gone way down in the last 10 years or so. Not sure why. We dont run any more swan decoys and dont see many at all anymore, though I do think you could kill some if you have a decent swan decoy rig.
I only hunt there couple times a year but numbers seem down. but still see enough to always have some come to a pair of decoys we always set out If we have a permit. The guide is gone but he cld call em so well he only needed one deke