Swan loads?

mdunker

Ten Pointer
I cannot remember what I used a couple of years back. I think it was BBs. What are people using?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Any duck load will take a swan down. Personally I'll shoot some hevi-shot of some type in 2s or 3s just to get a little denser pattern on the head.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
After seeing bismuth 5’s crush ducks for me this year, I’m planning to take bismuth 2’s for my swan hunt.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I have killed many on open water with my normal 3” # 3. I don’t field hunt at all, just open water blinds. That being said if you drew a permit and are booking a field hunt go big!!!!!!! 3.5” bb hevi metal or black cloud will get you trophy bird!

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve never killed one. I’ve watched people shoot a box of shells at them.
I think you can get one per permit.
I would take 1 12ga 3” tss turkey load.

Wait for the right bird to drop in. Pull up and blow his head off. [emoji12][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Yep, think of it like shooting flying turkeys. Get them as close as you can, try to hit in the head and neck. I've killed them with BBs and #2s. Didn't notice any difference the two loads.

cootmayne

Button Buck
After seeing bismuth 5’s crush ducks for me this year, I’m planning to take bismuth 2’s for my swan hunt.
Have been experimenting with bismuth shells lately myself. On the pattern board and hunting. Gotta say from what Ive seen so far I think it could be a game changer. 3 or 4 shots at cripples with steel have been turning into single shot kills with bismuth. I have been using 4s, havent tried the 5s yet.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was still waterfowl hunting when they first opened the season on them. I saw them carry off tons of steel shot if they weren't head shot. Bismuth and TSS is the ticket for them.

Sonic

Spike
I used to shoot hevi shot in my 10 for Canada Geese up in Easton, it works well. That is what I intend to shoot for swan this year.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I body shot my swan last year with a 28 gauge loads of tss 7’s. He folded like a dish rag.
I also shot mine last year with the 28ga and Tss #7’s but watched 1 fall to boss #4’s in a 20ga and 1 fall to a boss #5 in the 12ga. If you’re going to shoot steel #2’s work just fine. Hit them in the head and neck is the biggest thing with steel.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
The only one I've killed I shot flying at 35-40 yards with 20 ga #2 steel. A heavier load sounds nice but I like to shoot something similar in velocity to what I normally shoot(cracks me up when guys hear geese coming and switch shells). The right choke/steel shot combo wouldn't be a problem. I rarely have a crippled duck

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
You use that Boss Ammo? Was very pleased in North Dakota this year.
Yep using Boss. So far I’ve been shooting 3” and 2 3/4” 5s out of 12ga and 20ga and have been super happy with the results I have some 3/5 blends I haven’t tried yet and some Kent Bismuth #4 as well just to compare. All have patterned well for me on a target with LM choke.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Yep using Boss. So far I’ve been shooting 3” and 2 3/4” 5s out of 12ga and 20ga and have been super happy with the results I have some 3/5 blends I haven’t tried yet and some Kent Bismuth #4 as well just to compare. All have patterned well for me on a target with LM choke.
The 3/5 blends are hammers on ducks and geese in the 12 and 20ga they have the same pellet count as their #4 shells and pattern about the same.

mallardchaser

Button Buck
I would really look at the Hevishot Family of Shotgun Shells
They hit harder and retain so much more of their energy
well down range. For swans, I would suggest trying HeviShot
Hevi-Snow 3" or 3 1/2" BBB's. These are fantastic goose hunting
shells and I think will do a great job on swans. Also, Hevi-X BB's
will work great as well.