Swan decoys

mdunker

Ten Pointer
What does everyone use for decoys? We are thinking about doing our own hunt this year. I see floating decoys online. The only field decoys I see are snow geese.

hoyt85

Six Pointer
This is nothing more than a trip down memory lane....back in the day we’d carry 4 swan decoys anytime we were at the coast and felt the circumstances dictated toting them. Several years back on the last day of the season, my friend, his father, his fathers friend and myself hunted together for the last hoorah. Had a pretty good sized duck spread out with the 4 swan decoys.

Up until this point all I’d ever known was for them to be a pain in my butt, adding extra weight and one more thing to carry.

That morning for whatever reason every damn swan, 24 to be exact, decoyed like any duck I’ve ever dreamed of. Out of the four of us not nary a one had a swan permit. So, all we could do was watch. Neither of us gave it much thought..other than it just being pretty cool.

Well about 11 one lonely single swan comes flying over, sees the decoys, swings wide, gets the wind right and proceeds to land in the “hole” at 20 yards like countless others had done. The difference was this sum bitch was the first one to land in front of four grown men, neither of whom had a permit....with double leg bands and a blue neck collar.

Anyway...carry on

ducknut

Eight Pointer
We've been going for years. Started off with heafty bags stapled to stakes. Then Texas rags, now a mix of texas rags, silhouettes, and a couple full bodies. The silhouettes are made out of the same material the political signs are. Make your own if field hunting. We mix in snow geese because they're always in the area. But it seems the swans decoy better with just white decoys, not the mixed snows. Also earlier in the year is better. We started going last day of duck season for a while, and it wasn't always a slam dunk. Good luck on the hunt.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I painted two goose floaters to throw in with our ducks if theres a chance they fly in while we re hunting. Works fine, but we pull them after we fill our tag, seems to flare certain ducks. In a stand alone swan hunt, ive seen trash bags on sticks, white barrels, and thousands of dollars of swan decoys, and they all work just as good. Swans are a little dumb sometimes.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Have a bunch of the old 747 goose shells painted white we use on field hunts. Have 10 floaters for water use when the need arises

Gus

Six Pointer
Snow goose shells work well. Spray paint the bills black and white spray paint over the black wing bars.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I bought a couple to use when I go down east. Was hoping to use them this season but we did not get drawn for a permit. Guess I can use them as a confidence decoy.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a couple to use when I go down east. Was hoping to use them this season but we did not get drawn for a permit. Guess I can use them as a confidence decoy.

i would be careful about that. I’ve seen swan decoys really mess up decoying ducks before. Not saying it happens every time but I never had them out if I didn’t have a swan permit and wasn’t in a legitimate area to kill one

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
i would be careful about that. I’ve seen swan decoys really mess up decoying ducks before. Not saying it happens every time but I never had them out if I didn’t have a swan permit and wasn’t in a legitimate area to kill one

Thanks for the heads up. I definitely don't need anything messing up the few birds I see.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Agree, unless you're trying to kill a swan or you are just wrapped up with wigeon I would leave them at home.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk