Surgery Update

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Well the big day finally got here. Had a total hip replacement at Mercy Hospital in Charlotte on 14 Feb. Took me in 30 minutes early and did the replacement using an epidural and slightly sedated to sleep. Operation lasted about 1 1/2 hours. No complications and every thing was normal.
Up and walking about 2 hours after surgery and man was I surprised. First time in three month with NO PAIN. The Physical Therapist was really happy that I was able to ambulate and do the exercises so well.

ONLY problem I had during the hospital stay was the night of the surgery, I had to get, Ill try to put it nicely, the worst nurse. The ONLY nurse that was not awesome. She was supposed to administer medicines on a scheduled basis. She was late two hours on one, 30 minutes on another and 45 late on another. I had no clue of the schedule, did not have my watch and my cell was charging to where I couldn't get to it from the bed. I finally started hurting so bad I called the nursing station and told them I needed pain meds. it was another hour before she finally got that medicine so after that I was behind on my meds. Typically I finally got another oxycodone and finally went to sleep at about 6 a.m. At about 6:30 she knocked on the door and walked right in and scared me so I jumped up and about passed out from pain and I squalled and she screamed and ran out of the room. And all hell broke loose as two or three other nurses ran in wanting to know what I had done. They happened to be the ones that had got after her because she was late giving me my meds on time. So as soon as I got back to where I could talk I explained and they believed me. I had told that nurse to leave the door open so if she came back like she had promised to check on me and found I had finally gone to sleep she wouldn't wake me up. The lab tech came in to draw blood at 2:45 a.m. :mad: :mad::oops::oops: and had almost closed the door and was gone before I could tell him to leave it partially open.

EVERYTHING else was awesome from the time I got there until I left.

The day I was released I had to pass two items. The medical clearance and the movements the Physical Therapist wanted me to be able to do. The surgeon came in and told me he had cleared me medically. The PT guy came in and since I had told him I was staying with my son and had to manipulate 16 steps to the second floor for showers he wanted to be assured that I could still do the stairs. He said he was comfortable with the other exercises I had done the afternoon after surgery so all we were going to do was the stairs. We walked down to the gym where he had a pseudo set of stairs. Three steps up to a platform, turn around and walk back down. So he said "Go" I went up, turned around and back down. He said keep going back to your room you don't need any practice. lol. Guess the time on those 16 steps had paid off. LOL.

Made it back to my Son' house (incidentally he had surgery the day before, the second surgery on that shoulder from being hit by a car while walking in a cross walk going to catch the transit bus to work three years ago). It was either do it that date or have to wait possible til the last of March or perhaps even mid April. He has been in so much pain do it now and get it over with so he had the surgery. Thankfully my grandson lives close by and was able to drive him and I to our respective surgeries and bring us home. I have been restricted from driving since about 20 Dec 19.

We went out to lunch after we got home, had to go to the drug store to pick up new prescribed medicines and we got a craving for Tacos that night so we went to the grocery store to get a couple of ingredients. I walked quite bit and I was shocked at no pain in my hip and NO PROBLEM walking at all. That doesn't mean no pain in the muscles around the surgery. Got plenty of sore muscles in the hip and thigh. LOL.

Been doing the post surgery exercises with no problems other than the sore muscles but was able to do all of them.

Three recommendations: One DO NOT schedule a thing with AppsOrtho in Boone. Two Do all your contacts with OrthoCarolina in Charlotte. Three: Do the pre-surgery exercises.

As well as I seem to be doing I realize I still have a lot of recovery time before I'll be running (well walking) up and down steep mountains hunting. And I know for a fact I'm going to be careful and do the things required for recovery. I definitely do not want to do any damages that might require a make over.

Post surgery the only lingering effects are repeated bouts of hiccups and this is possibly caused by the breathing tube inserted during the surgery irritating the hiccup control nerves. Can be immediate or begin weeks after the surgery???? If severe a doctor may prescribe a medicine.

Glad that much of its over and hopefully recovery will continue as it has so far.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, DAYTONA starts soon.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
That's a great report Larry and thanks for the update. I hope that nurse wet herself when you yelled. Serve her right. No need to give you any advise. You already know it all and can probably remember more of it than most of us.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thats great news...dr beaver did mine about 3 yrs ago at mercy. ...was doing great until i dislocated same hip in November. ...has been giving me grief ever since......i thought after 3 yrs i was good to go, but doing a split on slick garage floor did the trick. ..good luck with your recovery

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Good to hear it went well.

My Dad had it done 15 years ago. He said when he went under, he was kind of in and out of consciousness. He said he would see the DR and nurses hovering over him and talking. At one point he said he rolled his head to the side and noticed his right leg next to his ear!

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Larry, glad to hear the end result so far is good even if there was a few bumps in the road along the way. Incompetent nurses can be as bad as your ailment.

Glad you got relief from the pain and are on the road to complete recovery.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Glad to hear all went well. Glad you didn't have to spend very much time in the hospital either. A hospital is a HORRIBLE place to get any rest!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Still having the bought of hiccups. And it goes without saying those sore muscles. LOL. But still walking great and also able to do all of the post exercises.

I haven't got a clue as to where all they had my leg but I'm sure glad I did NOT have any waking moments. Before surgery I googled the operation and watched to the point where the surgeon actually took a type of chisel and hammer to remove the ball from the socket. Thats as far as I got. LOL.

Appreciate all the good wishes. Thanks everyone

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
Thats great news...dr beaver did mine about 3 yrs ago at mercy. ...was doing great until i dislocated same hip in November. ...has been giving me grief ever since......i thought after 3 yrs i was good to go, but doing a split on slick garage floor did the trick. ..good luck with your recovery

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Dr. Beaver did my total knee replacement 10 years ago. Great doctor. Great PT at a OrthoCarolina location.
Couldn’t be happier.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
The weather finally cleared up enough to encourage me to venture outside today. I've confined my self to the house since I came home from surgery last Friday. because of the crappy weather. It was really sunny but still cold today. I have a Health Application on my cell phone and it says I walked exactly one mile today. I thought that was pretty good so soon after surgery and I had no problems walking. In fact I considered walking further however, my buddy just had a knee replacement and he cautioned me against "over doing it".

I was surprised that the doctor did not schedule any physical therapy. He did have a PT guy work with me the day of the surgery and for a few minutes the following day and gave me a three page document with nine exercises he "recommended" I do three times a day. Been doing those and amazed at how well things are going.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Good report Larry. Keep up the good work. You might make it back to the condo before you know it. I sure hope so cause those yotes must think you have died by now and will be easy targets.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Weened my self from the walker last week. Been walking from 1 to 2 plus miles per day starting three days after the total hip replacement surgery. Two days ago I switched over to the use of a cane. Today I carried the cane in case of an emergency and walked 2.31 miles without either the walker or the cane. And the doggone surgeon still wont release me to drive. Sucks. Fla is definitely out this winter/spring. Still residing with my son in Cornelius, NC so I haven't had the "fun" of playing in the Boone snow and I haven't missed it one single iota. LOL.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Weened my self from the walker last week. Been walking from 1 to 2 plus miles per day starting three days after the total hip replacement surgery. Two days ago I switched over to the use of a cane. Today I carried the cane in case of an emergency and walked 2.31 miles without either the walker or the cane. And the doggone surgeon still wont release me to drive. Sucks. Fla is definitely out this winter/spring. Still residing with my son in Cornelius, NC so I haven't had the "fun" of playing in the Boone snow and I haven't missed it one single iota. LOL.

Great news! Except for the driving part. Glad to hear you are doing well.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Still residing with my son in Cornelius

Hey Larry - glad to hear you're on the mend. Meanwhile you are staying right up the road from me. I remember when you stopped by the house several years ago to pick up a black coyote that I had shot. Hope you're back in the woods soon...

Fudd

Four Pointer
Glad to hear that you are doing well. My wife goes in next week for a hip replacement and I hope she does as well as you.