Surf Fishing

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
How late in the season can a person expect to have a decent day of surf fishing?

Depends on wind and water temps, and what you’re targeting. Much later this year than years last for almost everything.

Trout and puppy drum? You can catch them year round in the surf

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
When it gets cold enough that all but the dedicated are still out there, you can catch the biggest mullet. Have caught them in Dec to Feb. The bigger one are just starting to show up. Caught 30-40 this past week.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
till the water temps push fish off the beach it can be good thru end of the year

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Caught and released a 21" and a 24" drum today from the Nags Head surf. Kept a 19" trout for supper. Also caught several blues and black drum, they were small.

Edited to add a pic:

24 inch.jpg

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lots of big sharks today at the Point, or what's left of it, which is not much. My wife held the rod for this angler while he pulled the shark in by the tail. Saw 5 big ones caught in short order, we tried to avoid them and were successful. Fun to watch!

DSC08207.JPG

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No pics but caught a 24” drum this morning right before daylight and it was about as cold as I’d want to fish.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
Late November and December is good on spot, mullet, drum and trout. Spot should be getting thick soon and you can catch 10-20 pretty easily. I love this time of year - put out a line and see what bites. I usually fish SC during the winters because my inlaw's have a place down there. In December I've caught quite the cooler of spot, pompano, flounder and whiting