surf fishing set up question

OK men you have always given me great info so Im here again. Gonna social distance down at Topsail for a few days, need a new surf fishing set up, rod reel etc....Currently using a ole school 9 ft Diawa combo time to upgrade. Thanks in advance, GO

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Casting or spinning?

I picked up some 10 and 12' Penn Carnage II rods last fall for some trips. Got to say they are a big difference than the ones a few years back and lot lighter than the Tica.
Mine are topped with Diawa Saltist casting reels.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Depends on budget and target species. I’ve been buying the Penn Battalion rods, 9’ and 12’. 9 are great for plugs, two hook rigs and small fish finders. There are two models, one throws 3oz max, other is 2oz max. The 3’s are good all around choice. I’ve been pleased with Penn Battle II’s, a 4or5000 fits well on the 9’ rods. A set up like this can be had around $200. If you wanna step up some I bought a Ninja 11’ over winter, now it’ll throw like a dream with 5oz. Rod was about $175. The Carnage line from Peen feels good too, just haven’t bought one. All matter of budget. Where you located, may can advise on place get a deal.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Look at the Breakwater rods and reels at Bass Pro. A friend has a couple of them. Not a bad set up for the price. I have a couple of Penn Spinfisher reels with Prevail rods. Both setups work good for any thing in the surf ,from whiting to red drum.

witler

Eight Pointer
Good input from B-K....., I am a avid user of Penn products, both rods and reels. The Battle line fits both my useage and budget.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like the Okuma Cedros series matched with Okuma or Tica rods. If you're in Cary and going to that Cabela's, ask for Carson Perry. He will be helpful.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I like the Okuma Cedros series matched with Okuma or Tica rods. If you're in Cary and going to that Cabela's, ask for Carson Perry. He will be helpful.
My son is Carson Perry but he is only 5 going on 25 but sure loves to fish. Cool to know!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ABsurfangler

Button Buck
My favorite outfits for surf fishing here in Atlantic Beach are a 7'6" Okuma Epixor Inshore Spinning rod, Model # EPI-S-761 ML, 6-10 lb. test, 1/8 to 1/2 oz. used mostly in calm surf ($69.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods) with your favorite reel (I use either Okuma's or Shimano's), loaded with 10 lb. mono or braid test line. My surf rod is an 8' Okuma Longitude rod Model # LC-S-802M, 15-30 lb. test, 1/2 to 3 oz. lures ($49.99 at okumafishingusa.com), loaded with your favorite reel with 15 lb. mono or braid line. As you can tell, I am a light tackle enthusiast who rarely uses 20lb. test line or heavier. I will say that I do have a Bass Pro Shops Gold Cup Inshore Rod (Model # GHS71225, 7' 12-25 lb. test, 3/4-3 oz. lures using 20 lb. mono for the False Albacore that come into our shores almost up to the beach. They sell for $49.99 at Bass Pro, but I highly recommend using braid as opposed to mono because in my opinion, the guides should be 1 size larger for the lb. test recommended.

Redneckhero91

Four Pointer
My favorite outfits for surf fishing here in Atlantic Beach are a 7'6" Okuma Epixor Inshore Spinning rod, Model # EPI-S-761 ML, 6-10 lb. test, 1/8 to 1/2 oz. used mostly in calm surf ($69.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods) with your favorite reel (I use either Okuma's or Shimano's), loaded with 10 lb. mono or braid test line. My surf rod is an 8' Okuma Longitude rod Model # LC-S-802M, 15-30 lb. test, 1/2 to 3 oz. lures ($49.99 at okumafishingusa.com), loaded with your favorite reel with 15 lb. mono or braid line. As you can tell, I am a light tackle enthusiast who rarely uses 20lb. test line or heavier. I will say that I do have a Bass Pro Shops Gold Cup Inshore Rod (Model # GHS71225, 7' 12-25 lb. test, 3/4-3 oz. lures using 20 lb. mono for the False Albacore that come into our shores almost up to the beach. They sell for $49.99 at Bass Pro, but I highly recommend using braid as opposed to mono because in my opinion, the guides should be 1 size larger for the lb. test recommended.
What do you throw at the albacore?

ABsurfangler

Button Buck
The Epoxy Jigs from Hogy...size and weight depends on the surf...have had great success with them...the Silver and/or the Silverside has been the most productive color...,but you have to go at sunrise and watch for the birds.