Surf fishing popularity

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We all know how popular surf fishing is on the outer banks. I’ve always wondered if it was done on the same scale in any other states? About the only other state I know anything about the coastline other than North Carolina is South Carolina. You see some folks pier fishing and a line in the water here and there on the surf but nothing like you see from here in North Carolina from Portsmouth and on up. I’m thinking it most have popularity in other areas as well. There are too many companies making products that cater to the surf fisherman for it just to be localized. I’m likely in the dark on this topic so if anyone wants to enlighten me with what other areas are popular among the surf fisherman feel free.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
The mid and North Atlantic states as well as Florida have great surf fishing population. The west coast is the same.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I think its more the beaches than the people. Hatteras, CALO, Ocracoke, and other have beaches and water off them not conducive to swimming and playing around. Though they are great for fishing

Speckhunter

Button Buck
A few discussions elsewhere online over recent years indicated that NC is banking off its surf fishing reputation from the 7o's and 80's...
One guy from up north that has been to the OBX for years even posted that NC is overrated compared to New Jersey, where the striper fishing is superior to what NC offers in the surf.

I disagree.

I have surf fished Delaware/Cape Henlopen and Indian River, Assateaque in MD and VA, Chinocoteaque and Ameliai Island FLA/GA and Padre Island TX and sight casted for reds in the great Laguna Madre.

All things said, I'll go with NC. Anytime.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
if you just want stripers id go up north too. But the variety that can be caught in NC is unmatched. We also have great vehicle access which helps as well.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
if you just want stripers id go up north too. But the variety that can be caught in NC is unmatched. We also have great vehicle access which helps as well.
True. Up there in the surf is almost exclusively bluefish and stripers. Summer flounder too but not much else. They is a way bigger variety here.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Do other states allow beach driving ? We have decent access here, I can remember when it use to be much better. No seasonal closures, you could drive from Nags Head to the Point anytime of year or day.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Not as much as there is here but I remember 30 years ago in Montauk being able to drive on the beach and at Long Beach Island. Of course you had to get a permit which used to be just a stop at the ranger station to make sure you had a 4x4 vehicle, a jack, chain, a block of wood, and 1st aid kit. I know you can drive on the beaches near Daytona too but I never did.

Wood Duck Hunter

Six Pointer
Do other states allow beach driving ? We have decent access here, I can remember when it use to be much better. No seasonal closures, you could drive from Nags Head to the Point anytime of year or day.
Be thankful for what you have. There is no driving on beaches in SC. Damn Loggerhead Turtle is worshipped like a god.