Surf Fishing Myrtle Beach

redbow

Ten Pointer
If you have time, head south to Murrells Inlet. I would fish the jetties. You can access them through Huntington State Park.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
IMO the only thing to catch at Myrtle Beach is a buzz while watch the ittzy bittzy bikini's stroll by. If you are going to fish, go to the piers and leave the surf alone. There is just too many people in the surf swimming to fish and it's not worth the risk of putting a hook into one of them, even if you were there first and/or if it was totally their fault, it just isn't worth the hassle. Stick to the pier is you want to fish.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Fishing at Myrtle beach can be good if you know where to go. Bull Drum like crazy 2 years ago . I used to go down there at least 2 times a month as I had a condo there but the best consistent place I found for fishing was behind the bass Pro in the intercoastal waterway for Blue cats. That part is fresh and has some nice blues in it. I used to think the fishing (because everyone said so) was bad but I took a scuba class at Elon so one Weekend late may or June trip i took my mask, fins and snorkel and early one morning I went out on a slick calm morning to maybe a 4' depth and just swam down the beach looking for whatever. to my amazement I saw flounder after flounder after flounder. That day changed my mine on fishing in Long Bay. Back in the 80's there were about 5 older Gentlemen on the Cherrygrove Pier and they were the best flounder fishermen I have ever seen. They all used Daiwa Millionaire reels and c rigs and mudminnows and just walked piling to piling. Do that at CG pier or do your surf fishing early(daylight) , daylight to 830 or 9am and you will not have a problem with swimmers. I also used to catch gray trout in the surf early on 4 inch grubs. used to catch some decent sharks there as well but shark fishing from shore or pier is illegal in Horry county.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I fished the inlet at North Myrtle and caught some sea mullet. Not any swimmers due to the rough water and strong current of the inlet.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The most phenomenal spot run I’ve ever witnessed in person was on a pier in myrtle beach back in the early 90’s. Can’t remember the name of it but me and my cousins caught spots two at a time till we’d filled up every cooler and bucket we had. Even bought another bucket at the pier shop and filled it up.
In the late 90’s to about 2003, I took my boat to cherry grove and caught flounder easily every single time we went out of the inlet and to this day, the biggest flounder I’ve ever seen in person, I saw caught by a boat beside us. Had to have been 10lbs+. Haven’t fished there in 15 years though.
When I first started fishing that inlet as kid, there wasn’t a house to be found on the inlet. Lol

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
The most phenomenal spot run I’ve ever witnessed in person was on a pier in myrtle beach back in the early 90’s. Can’t remember the name of it but me and my cousins caught spots two at a time till we’d filled up every cooler and bucket we had. Even bought another bucket at the pier shop and filled it up.
In the late 90’s to about 2003, I took my boat to cherry grove and caught flounder easily every single time we went out of the inlet and to this day, the biggest flounder I’ve ever seen in person, I saw caught by a boat beside us. Had to have been 10lbs+. Haven’t fished there in 15 years though.
When I first started fishing that inlet as kid, there wasn’t a house to be found on the inlet. Lol

Alot has changed in 15-20yrs....

ECU_Pirate

Banned
My friends have a place at Cherry grove. The Place is packed with boats fishing all the time. Giggers at night too.

golfer

Four Pointer
We fish Cheery Grove a lot in May. They dredged the canals last year, but the main channel will soon fill in if they do not dredge in soon. The number of boats just about doesn't make it worth it. Frustrating place to fish when some boats anchor, some drift with the current, some troll into the current, and then some yahoos will throw out from the bank. If you fish in the hole near the boat ramp, be sure to wear a helmet. Those pier fisherman are crazy.

Attachments

• Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 16

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
There is just too many people in the surf swimming to fish and it's not worth the risk of putting a hook into one of them, even if you were there first and/or if it was totally their fault, it just isn't worth the hassle. Stick to the pier is you want to fish.

Agreed.