Sure am proud of my boy. Newest Jacksonville Police Officer

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
Had his swearing in ceremony the other day and his first shift right away.

Went off to college to major in Criminal Justice and realized that college was not for him. After his first semester he came back home and quickly enrolled in BLET and graduated in December. He has been blessed with an attitude of public service ever since he was a little fella when he took CPR classes as soon as he was old enough. When he said to me "Dad, its not always about chasing the dollar, but I am pretty sure I am doing what I was put on this earth do to" I about lost it with my emotions. My wife did an amazing job raising these boys since I was gone doing what the Army told me to do for seveal years...

Just had to brag a little.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations to you and your son, I know the feeling my son was sworn in with the Chapel Hill Police Dept. in May. Brings out the emotional side of a grown man watching your son getting sworn in. May he be safe in his new career.

apphunter

Four Pointer
I'm 12 years into the job now. Keep an eye on him whether he ever admits it or not this job will change him. No one escapes police work with their professional virginity intact. He will get screwed at some point. I am just now realizing how much of an affect my job has had on me with either burn out our PTSD. My marriage is in shambles and my wife moved out last week with the kids. We are seeing a counselor together and I am seeing one independently

Get him a copy of Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement and it will hopefully give him some tools to help prevent some of the damage. I also suggest you read it as well and if he ever gets serious with a girl she will need to read it as well to help keep him accountable..

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I'll have to echo @apphunter, that profession will have, and will leave a lasting impact. 21 years in and 24 out now and it still has bearing on my life every day. I can't count the number of young people that I've tried to talk out of that line of work, sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't.....

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
I'm 12 years into the job now. Keep an eye on him whether he ever admits it or not this job will change him. No one escapes police work with their professional virginity intact. He will get screwed at some point. I am just now realizing how much of an affect my job has had on me with either burn out our PTSD. My marriage is in shambles and my wife moved out last week with the kids. We are seeing a counselor together and I am seeing one independently

Get him a copy of Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement and it will hopefully give him some tools to help prevent some of the damage. I also suggest you read it as well and if he ever gets serious with a girl she will need to read it as well to help keep him accountable..

Thank you Sir. I was not expecting to see a reply like this when I started this thread but darn sure glad I did

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
Tell your son thank you. He is embarking on a thankless career, but there are lots of people who appreciate what they do.