suprised

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've been mowing road beds and dike banks for the past couple of days and I'm seeing a really good number of pairs on our home farm and I've seen one new brood of chicks. I mow at about 18" to make sure to provide cover for the little birds and young rabbits, but I have to mow this danged switchgrass early or it will get so thick it will bog a bush hog down

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been mowing road beds and dike banks for the past couple of days and I'm seeing a really good number of pairs on our home farm and I've seen one new brood of chicks. I mow at about 18" to make sure to provide cover for the little birds and young rabbits, but I have to mow this danged switchgrass early or it will get so thick it will bog a bush hog down
We saw several coveys and singles when we were at your place, that was incredible. I've not seen wild quail in many years.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

dibs on the first week after deer season!!

odie408

Ten Pointer
I see and hear pairs all spring and summer but once the crops are picked they head to the woods for cover. Ditchbanks are a thing of the past.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
This past year on multiple outings in the Croatan my dog and I flushed lots of singles in a few areas and hit a large covey while we were out on a Sunday stroll through the woods.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's a good surprise. I suppose the way we act toward seeing a bobwhite is the way our fathers and grandfathers felt about seeing a deer track. Interesting reversal...

You're far enough east to be able to bump into a few now and then. Maybe you can show us a picture a couple this fall.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
There was a lone male out at my cousin's shop here in Guilford County. Pretty tame, just hung around and would let you get within a few feet of him. May have been a pen raised escapee, but the legs were the color of a wild bird. Haven't seen him in awhile, but had a red fox run by us at 30 yards, so that may have something to do with it.....

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
They are around, in some spots. I' got into a covey of about 15 in a gameland over the winter. I didn't shoot, they were a bit further than I'd have liked and the dog was elsewhere and didn't point them.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I still continue to try and work on edge for them but don't see any increase here. Just a single pair again this year. Last year I saw coveys on 2 separate occasions but never any more mature birds. It is one of those things that, whether there are positive results or not, you keep trying. Spray as much fescue as you can and work on the edges.