Suprise new toy

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Farther-in-law bestowed me a 60's era Savage 24, 22lr over 410, that's in rough shape.

Wood is beat up, flaking clear coat, but the metal and bore is in surprisingly good shape.

Never gonna get rid of it since it's a "family" gun.

Would it hurt anything to get the stock refinished?

Any "tips" on those guns as far as the barrels being true to POI?

Tell me if I'm crazy for popping a little mirco red dot on that thing for squirrel duty?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I cleaned up one for a friend a couple of years ago. No refinish but just cleaning. Had to get a rear sight elevator for it but it adjusted just fine for 50 yds. Sweet little gun.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
They’re solid guns, had a 357/20ga that was a lot of fun till I decided I needed a contender more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
My "family" had one and my older brother ended up with it. Couple years ago I paid top dollar for one just like it. Had the rynite stock. The 22 was very accurate. I could not kill a squirrel with the 410. I probably could have worked with it to pattern it but I ended up selling it. Please post a pic, I'd like to see it. Most of the time refinishing erodes the value but if it is too far gone anyway then it wouldn't matter.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
People will give you a hard time for putting a red for on a "classic" gun. I like those dots and find them usefull for exactly what you are doing. Go for it.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
How will you mount the red dot? IMO you need magnification for squirrels with a 22 rimfire. If it has an integrated rail I recommend some type of vintage but good glass for it.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
How will you mount the red dot? IMO you need magnification for squirrels with a 22 rimfire. If it has an integrated rail I recommend some type of vintage but good glass for it.

It's got a 3/8" dovetail, just have to get an alternate base.

And I've got a dedicated squirrel sniper setup already in my 17hmr. Good glass and I can put it in their ear out to 100 yards (lol, if the wind aint blowing)

Some of the most fun I have squirrel hunting is with my Ruger Mk3 22 and my compound with adder points.
This gun will be used in the same manner. Up close or in early season when the leaves are still on.

Big woods in January or cleaning squirrels off peoples deer feeders is when the 17 comes out.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer

And I've got a dedicated squirrel sniper setup already in my 17hmr. Good glass and I can put it in their ear out to 100 yards (lol, if the wind aint blowing)

Some of the most fun I have squirrel hunting is with my Ruger Mk3 22 and my compound with adder points.
This gun will be used in the same manner. Up close or in early season when the leaves are still on.

Big woods in January or cleaning squirrels off peoples deer feeders is when the 17 comes out.
There is lots of options but I would try to get it mounted as close to the bore as possible. Would still like to see pics.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Finally got around to killin some stuff with this gun.

Super fun with some 1050 FPS segmented hollow points. I was a prairie dog ninja on the antelope hunt.

Picked up a red dot for it. Anxious for squirrel season to start up.

Random question.

Does anyone on here that owns those savage OUs know what size/pattern/brand hammer extension I need to get for it?!?

I’m leery of that old slick hammer when I’m wearing gloves in the winter, and I might add a 1/4 optic, so I’d need anyways.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Did a little diggin and found the Uncle mikes extension for Handi-rifles is supposed to work. Will give it a shot.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

They make red dots that go onto dovetails. I have 2.
Not dovetails but I got 2 contender barrels In .22 . one has a really nice scope on it and the other has a red dot. the red dot .22 is way more fun when going after rabbits and skirls.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
My father has one of these and I used it on rabbits and squirrels as a kid. I did not find the 20g and the .22 to have the same POA POI. But I would sight for .22 and learn the POA for the 20g.

I feel like a red dot is perfect. Especially one with a 1moa dot. I cannot stand when a rifle is poorly finished or the finish on a nice stock has been beat up. Milsurp fire arms being the exception. I think it is good to refinish the stock if you are going to keep and use the gun.

herman

Six Pointer
I think I bought my first gun back in 1950 or 52,53 don't remember which.Thinking I gave 59 bucks for it then.I got the funds for it by digging gen sang and helping my dad bag coal.
Took a lot of game with it over the years from squrrels to even a deer.Still have it and not for sale.
Haven't shot it in many years but was very accurate with the open sights.Don't know if there is a scpe mount for it or not,doesn't have the dovetail.
IMG_0018.JPGIMG_0015.JPGIMG_0018.JPG

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Shot it yesterday. Put a fixed 4x on it.

At 50 yards, 10 shots inside a golf ball with Aguila 60 grain sub supers.

Squirrels better watch out.

Gonna pattern the 410 at 10 and 15 yards this week around the house before clearing out the woods here at home. Time to fry some hams.