Supper

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Been having a powerful hankering for a fried rabbit. My grandmother could fry rabbits and quail and it would make your mouth water. Certain smells will stay with you for as long as you live. The smell of my grandmother and grandads house after she’d fried up a big mess of rabbits and birds will be one I’ll remember if I live to be 100.
Was out riding around in the side by side yesterday checking food plots for sheds and drove down in my brushy draw. I always keep my 28 gauge 870 express in the gun rack of the mule. It stays loaded with tss 2’s for “critters” but I had a few 8’s in the glove box. I decided to see if I could “bust brush” to get supper. My Boykin usually rides with me and she is excellent at flushing rabbits, but she is very pregnant currently. Literally the first briar patch I stepped in, I jumped a rabbit and killed it. Took all of 2 minutes to get supper. I just wanted one so I left.
When we bought our farm, I said the rabbits were safe, but in two years of shooting skunks, coons and stupid ass cats, I have rabbits, lots of rabbits. Lol. And I’ve discovered that this time of year, they’ve developed a taste for my fig bushes and girdled the hell out Of’em
It’s just one rabbit, but the smell of that rabbit frying in the cast iron skillet brought back a ton of memories. It tasted exactly like I wanted to!!!! Also tried a new beer I had a buddy pick up for me while he was in Arkansas. Pretty good considering I only wanted it for decoration in the man cave!!E64A68E0-ED2F-40D4-A48F-C4012377CBFB.jpeg487BCA5D-9EE7-44E6-BCEA-242B78918F61.jpeg82915C5E-6FE5-419D-893B-FDF13C3D7B3E.jpeg955B4A4D-9817-4C2E-9F60-685F0DE2B435.jpeg

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't know they made a 28 gauge 870 Express. Hanging around here keeps my wishlist full

I’m kinda a 28 gauge junkie. I’ve got several. I found that one on GB 2 or 3 years ago. Not sure how old it is but it don’t have the ugly j key in the safety. It was new in the box. Guy said he had two. He offered me a helluva deal if I’d bought both passed.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
ditto,,,I only have 4 (or is it 5) and love them,,,,especially for bunnies

good looking fried rabbit there Sir,,,makes me hungry!

Thank you sir!
My daughter and I drove down to barn yesterday evening right before dark to check on a goat that’s due to have babies. This joker was sitting beside my fig bush. A CB short in the eye made for another fine future supper. My daughter was fired up about it. 573145F0-4D52-4096-8C3B-CF3459DB5741.jpeg

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
We use to shoot so many rabbits out of the brush/briar beds. We would take them home and daddy and us would start cleaning. He would take a couple and throw them on the grill. Some of the others mama would throw in a pot to boil. After that she would make a killer Rabbit Salad, like chicken but with rabbit.

Those were the days.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Do you parboil them before frying? I love rabbit but have allways stewed/braised/slowcooked it. The few times I have had it fried it was very tough and dry.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Do you parboil them before frying? I love rabbit but have allways stewed/braised/slowcooked it. The few times I have had it fried it was very tough and dry.

Yessir. That’s how my grandmother always did it. Boil till tender then dry it off and roll in seasoned flour.