Super black hawk 44

Andrewd

Six Pointer
Tell me about them. I looking at a used one. What do I need to look out for? Any common problems ? What’s the average going price ? It has 7.25 barrel and a cheap scope.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I paid $425 for mine. Used but in almost new condition.
Added a vortex venom and it’s a very capable hunting gun.

New pistols are over $600 most places, so anything under $500 would be fair I guess

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good reliable single action revolvers, there are many changes over the years so figure out when it was made. Millions have been made with all kinds of configurations as far as safety, barrel length, ability to mount a scope, ect. BTW, shoot it if possible before you buy it and see if all the parts function as they should. That's a potent pill for any handgun and some parts tend to wear out with repeated use but are easily replaced by a good smith or by Ruger.

rascals dad

Button Buck
I have downed a lot of deer with mine. 250 gr hollow point cast bullet does a great job. I have a 2x scope and custom grips.

Lee

Six Pointer
Are you looking at the Super Blackhawk or the Super Blackhawk Hunter model? CDNN shows them at $600 and $769 for a quick comparison of 7.5" barrel models. I have the Super Blackhawk Hunter and it is fairly accurate; I could probably be more accurate with a trigger job. I'm in the 50+ age group so the scope is necessary for me to make humane shots past bow range. I practice using a homemade walking stick as shooting rest and feel very confident up to 75 yards. Resting it on the rail of a treestand or blind it is easily a 125 yard gun. Better shots can probably extend that quite a bit.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
with the hammer back, or down, see if the bolt locks the cylinder tight

is the bolt drag ring around the cylinder a groove or just thru the blueing?

They tend to be real workhorses and deadly on deer, bear and elk IME.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine is a pre-warning model and it now wears a scope with Leupold mount and rings. Lots of 300 grain pills have been slung at hogs and deer with that one. It now will walk out the cylinder pin if you don't pay attention.
This is the second one I've had and the oldest. I've probably had it almost 40 years.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Had a stainless one with a 10.5 inch barrel. It was accurate and I never mounted a scope on it. The only problem I had with mine was the screw holding the ejector on it sheared off probably from shooting full house handloads. I replaced the screw with a hardened one and never had anymore trouble. Good guns and could see owning another one.