Sunn hemp

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I have never seen it growing but have wanted to try some . Some more info and some good pictures would be helpful to me also .

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I will get pictures.

I ordered it from Sow True Seed company in Asheville:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The deer have browsed it down so the weeds are now taking over. Need to plant it thicker next time.

I'd plant it thicker to suppress the weeds if I plant it again. It germinates fast with rain.

IMG_1956.JPGIMG_1953.JPG

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Plantedsome whitetail Institute on 7 May. It was supposed to have soy beans , cow peas , sunflowers and sun hemp in the mix.

The deer have literally ate mine to the ground as well.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
When did you plant it?
What was your seeding rate?
Any fertilizer or supplements?

Fertilizer was 17-17-17 one 50 lb bag.

I planted it mid May sometime- 10 pound bag of seed in an area about 45 x 20 feet.

My problem was I just broadcasted on the surface and did not mash the seed into the soil. So birds could have eaten some of the seed.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Well I planted mine in mid may and mixed with buckwheat and sunflower as well as any volunteer weeds. I use it for wildlife and pollinators.(beekeeper)these pics are @ 3 weeks old as I've been struggling with Covid@ that long.

Attachments

• 20210723_200644.jpg
    20210723_200644.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 21

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interesting I just hope its not another kudzu
Deer love that also if you can manipulate it. If you cut it back in the spring (bush hog) they will absolutely flock to it to browse the new shoots. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to propagate the crap but if your stuck with it, it can be useful. Also I was in a dog club in the early '70s when the sandhills was was one of the poorest areas of the state for deer. One tract had a very large patch of that crap in it growing up on trees and several old abandoned buildings. It ALWAYS held deer, and usually large amounts later on in the season.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer love that also if you can manipulate it. If you cut it back in the spring (bush hog) they will absolutely flock to it to browse the new shoots. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to propagate the crap but if your stuck with it, it can be useful. Also I was in a dog club in the early '70s when the sandhills was was one of the poorest areas of the state for deer. One tract had a very large patch of that crap in it growing up on trees and several old abandoned buildings. It ALWAYS held deer, and usually large amounts later on in the season.
Like you say…. I wouldn’t intentionally start that crap, but if it’s already there, I’ll definitely manipulate it to my benefit.

Bushhog it, and keep it in check and it’s a nifty little draw for the deer. Let it get away from you and it’s a nightmare.

I’ve got a steep bank that it’s taken ahold of, I keep it beat back and don’t let it spread and it’s nearly a guarantee to see deer.
Same thing with those infernal Autumn Olives. Let them get away and they will take over. Keep em in check and the deer and birds love em.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Like you say…. I wouldn’t intentionally start that crap, but if it’s already there, I’ll definitely manipulate it to my benefit.

Bushhog it, and keep it in check and it’s a nifty little draw for the deer. Let it get away from you and it’s a nightmare.

I’ve got a steep bank that it’s taken ahold of, I keep it beat back and don’t let it spread and it’s nearly a guarantee to see deer.
Same thing with those infernal Autumn Olives. Let them get away and they will take over. Keep em in check and the deer and birds love em.
I had never had any first hand dealings with autumn olive to I started coon hunting all over the world. There isn't nothing like getting in that chit in the dark in old mine sites. Doesn't matter if it is reclaimed or not. That crap it terrible. Now game love it and it does provide harborage and food for them but damn, it will take over the world.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had never had any first hand dealings with autumn olive to I started coon hunting all over the world. There isn't nothing like getting in that chit in the dark in old mine sites. Doesn't matter if it is reclaimed or not. That crap it terrible. Now game love it and it does provide harborage and food for them but damn, it will take over the world.
We’ve got some on our place in Va. We let it have steep banks and rocky places, you just have to make sure and keep it beat back.

It’s a good place to find woodcock in the fall, deer lay up in it and browse on it, and rabbits multiply like the dickens in there.

As far as getting tangled up in that chit in the dark…. I’d rather fight through a 20 acre patch of doghobble than to try to fight through 10 ft of that mess. That stuff gets thicker than hair on a dog’s ass if left to it’s own devices.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We’ve got some on our place in Va. We let it have steep banks and rocky places, you just have to make sure and keep it beat back.

It’s a good place to find woodcock in the fall, deer lay up in it and browse on it, and rabbits multiply like the dickens in there.

As far as getting tangled up in that chit in the dark…. I’d rather fight through a 20 acre patch of doghobble than to try to fight through 10 ft of that mess. That stuff gets thicker than hair on a dog’s ass if left to it’s own devices.
My first dose of it was in Indiana, dog was treed about 90 yards out in it. To I got to the dog and got out I looked like I had crawled through concertina wire that far. And no, I didn't even look for the coon.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My first dose of it was in Indiana, dog was treed about 90 yards out in it. To I got to the dog and got out I looked like I had crawled through concertina wire that far. And no, I didn't even look for the coon.
I know the feeling. I had a doe run off in some of that mess one evening. Concertina wire is a very good description of that crap.