Sunglasses

CarolinaReaper

Oakley Holbrooks and Oakley Thinlinks. I'v tried other major brands but nothing seemed to fit as good or have the same build quality for the price point.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Since i bought my first pair of Oakley’s I’ve never went with any other. I keep eyeing Costa’s but I can’t but them cause if it ain’t broke why would I try to fix it

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
What brand do you wear?
Glass lense or plastic?
I am looking to go glass lenses next go around. I've had a few pairs of Revos and one pair of Costas which I bought used. They are bad scratched up and mostly used for yard work. Topic has probably been discussed, but I did not turn up any results doing a quick search.

My Amber lenses are Maui Jim glass and I love em. I believe they're the called Permits. Excellent glass.

I just bought a pair of plastic high reflective blue lenses for the ocean and they're plastic lenses made by Reks. So far I really like them. Really comfortable and nearly indestructible.

The only difference right now is appears that glass is more scratch proof but it's also heavier. Hope it helps.

Reactions: TH7

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Whatever is cheap on the rack with an amber lens and polarized.....I like the Calcutta’s Kiler mentioned earlier

double

Twelve Pointer
My glass costas actually scratched faster than my plastics. Could have been a fluke but it was my experience. I also watched my buddy drop his glass costas 4 feet onto tile and both lenses shatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most here must have a drastic larger disposable income than I. I'm pretty rough on sunglasses and just cannot justify the associated cost of the upper level brands you guys wear. I go through several pair a year and have found the UV protected, Polarized Yum brand at Wally world work well for me. They fit, they're light, and when they scratch, I chunk em and grab another pair. They're used for work, riding the motorcycle, mowing, fishing and whatever else I may be doing outside. When fishing, I've noticed that I can see deeper in the water than the guys fishing with me that are wearing much more expensive lenses..

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I've only owned one set of expensive sunglasses, Oakley's. If you ask me it's essentially an overpriced el cheapo. I was riding my four wheeler on the road and the wind caught my hat just right and it blew off... along with the O's. I cringed and almost could have imagine the sound of it scratching on the pavement. Never again have I ever bought one over $20.

Even so, I wear freebies from wife's work and I'm always losing or running over them.

I don't need to look cool.

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
Whatever's 9.99 on the rack at the gas station. I have gone buck wild and spent 15 bucks on polarized lenses a time or two.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My skull structure wasn't designed for sunglasses. I've had two pair that fit perfectly and one that fits well. The first was an Italian brand I bought I Malaysia. The second was a pair of Wiley X's that got ran over a couple weeks into deployment. I popped the lenses back in and kept wearing them. Gas Cans fit my frame. Just not while wearing a hat. I may just need a pair of shaded monocles.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I've lost/broke/scratched too many expensive pair to count so I go with el cheapos too. I actually use the shaded safety glasses they give out at work. I have polarized pair too. My buddy sometimes gets me some fancy ones with a camo frame.

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
If you have sunglasses with prescription lenses DO NOT get COSTA because if down the road they discontinue that frame they WILL NOT honor their warrantee. Got me a pair a few years ago and between fames, lenses and prescription it was over 500.00. Couple of years later one of the rubber nose pieces fell out somewhere. Sent them in to be repaired. Found out that that the frames were discontinued and they had no replacement rubber pieces. So they could not repair and would not replace with a different frame. SO, DO NOT BUY FROM COSTA IF YOU HAVE PRESCRIPTION LENSES.
Loved them until they broke!!!

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Oakley fuel cell polarized. Closed my first pair in the tailgate of my truck and couldnt figure out how to fix them.. bought them for next to nothing so went ahead and ordered a new pair and fixed them the next day.

Only sun glasses that fit my big ass head right

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Ive had smith sunglasses for the last 6 years at least. they have a life time warranty and they mean it. the pair i had the lenses started to delaminate after 5 years of every day wearing and abuse. sent them in and they called me up said the frames are no longer made but they are going to give me a credit for a pair of the closest frames to that style ($35.00 more than what i payed for mine originally) picked the frames and i had the new pair in 3 days. all said from the time i sent in and got new glasses 5 days.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I’m on the Costa bandwagon! My wife bought me a pair about 10 years ago and I wore them everyday up until last year. Only reason I stopped is because my son pulled on them until they broke. I sent them back to Costa to be repaired but that model was discontinued so they had me pick a new model. Was expecting to pay for them because the damage was not manufacturer related but they sent the new pair with glass 580 lenses for just the cost of shipping. With that customer service I’ll never buy anything but Costa again.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
Calcutta makes very good glasses for the money ...I've laughed very hard at my son in law who in the last three years has been through 3 pairs of Costas at 200 a pop...one lost two broke but wait they have a warranty rite ...yes with a 125 dollar shipping and labor cost ....there's a sucker born every minute

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Calcutta makes very good glasses for the money ...I've laughed very hard at my son in law who in the last three years has been through 3 pairs of Costas at 200 a pop...one lost two broke but wait they have a warranty rite ...yes with a 125 dollar shipping and labor cost ....there's a sucker born every minute
I just had 2 pair of costas replaced because of broken and worn out nose pieces for $10. Not sure who got suckered.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk