Summer/Tropical Thread 2020

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
152559.png
Thats wind speed. Im talking about how fast whole system will be moving.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Thats wind speed. Im talking about how fast whole system will be moving.

It will be a multi day event, the rain will start late tonight into the morning and it will be late Thurs into Friday morning before the line of severe stuff moves through, once that passes it will be over for most folks....the "center" should be around Fayetteville around 7am Friday morning give or take 6 hrs....

Norton

Button Buck
We were fortunate to get out of Hatteras yesterday to fish but got beaten by the waves. Two guys were chumming over the side all day. We ended going in early and the fishing was slow. We caught a few tuna, mahi mahi and a wahoo. Only a few boats went offshore. It is forecasted to blow 30 knots down here starting on Friday for the next four days.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
@woodmoose well man seems the gulf of Mexico is gonna be firing up another system. Models are anywhere from northern Mexico to Louisiana. This was the overnight euro but steering is highly uncertain right now.

Attachments

• 20200917_075406.jpg
    20200917_075406.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 29

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Geez, I wanted some rain to start filling the impoundment but looks like it might fill it up! Not necessarily good for right now.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
lots of rain for sure today for most of us, also the tornado threat will increase as the day progresses especially in eastern NC....after this it should be quiet locally for a week at least, Teddy will be a miss most likely the big front today will make it very difficult for him to miss, he will be a monster and maybe threaten Bermuda but other than big swells he wont impact NC.....

And on top of all that even the Med is getting in on the action with a "Medicane" which are pretty darn rare, and this one is particularly well formed and strong...

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like this is progressing faster than modeled so hopefully that lowers rain totals a inch or two.....it will also confine the tornado threat closer to the coast......still widespread 2-5" of rain for alot of NC....

Tues morning some folks along the VA border might see temps around 40ish.......all of NC should flirt with mid 40's except the coast.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Did RDU hit 100 this year? I saw several days where my truck temp was well over 100, but when I got home the "official" temp was well below that. I swear that happened last year also?

I know the "heat index" went way up there, but what was RDU's highest temp this year?

Also, as we done with the 90's this year you reckon?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Did RDU hit 100 this year? I saw several days where my truck temp was well over 100, but when I got home the "official" temp was well below that. I swear that happened last year also?

I know the "heat index" went way up there, but what was RDU's highest temp this year?

Also, as we done with the 90's this year you reckon?

Troughs seem to be progressive right now so I am not sure we 90 again on any prolonged outbreak. The rest of the month looks good.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
This would really suck right before deer season.....would drown my hunting club.....plus lots of new limbs and trees downed.....luckily this is far enough out that a lot can change, the Euro and GFS however both seem to be keying in on it, the Euro does not run past 10 days so it only shows it in the eastern GOM where as the GFS runs to 16 days and shows the storm making 3 different landfalls on the US.....this is well out there but climo wise this is the most likely track to get us at this point in the season.....the strongest storm to officially make landfall in NC was Hurricane Hazel on Oct 15th......as shown here this would be at best a 80-100 mph hurricane

c9195ecf-67e4-4460-9451-14d98450de6d.gif

Euro ens....

us_cyclone-en-087-0_euro_2020092300_15843_481_240.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Could be a few severe storms today in NC, and the models show a setup that would be rather nasty and severe sometime around the middle of next week, there is typically a short second severe season this time of year as big strong cold fronts start blasting into the still fairly mild SE.....

This latest GFS run timing for next weeks event is for Tues into Wed but it could be as late as Thur.....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_21.png

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
We will have a hurricane, next week or the following week. It never fails, I go to NoDak, and my wife compains about having to prep on her own, and I'm not sympathetic since we live in Raleigh not Wilmington.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Nasty severe storm south of RDU area at the moment at least 2" hail and wind gust to 60-70 mph happening with the core of this storm....looks to be over Apex currently with the worst of it....

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Crazy. Cells didn't do much when they came over here. Little bit if lighting and some thunder

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
hail.jpg

This is at my daughter's house, also in Apex. About 2 years ago, a similar storm put several dozen dents in her vehicle.

Last edited: