Summer/Tropical Thread 2020

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
He used to stand up straighter in much stronger hurricanes. Maybe it's time for a younger person.

Dude is a icon though......

On the current track what he is currently standing in is going to go right up just west of Hwy 17, Jacksonville, New Bern, Kinston, Greenville, Washington etc are all going to catch that east eyewall......

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Well that was fun. Right up until 11 the NHC NOAA side was predicting a one foot surge where we have our camper on the canal in Chocowinity. At 11 they changed it to five feet! About 3 am water was rushing in. I am in Wake Forest. Hoping to hear soon how we fared. A camper has been on our site since 1999. Flooded in 1999 and once since then. Pulled the camper out twice in the last three years and only needed to once. It is not a small undertaking. 36 ft 5th wheel set up on blocks with a shed, golf cart etc. Fingers crossed. If I remember correctly it takes a six foot surge to get the camper wet inside. The golf cart may have gone under.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty much a non issue around here. A few limbs down in the yard, never lost power, and the few times I woke up and checked outside, did not look bad at all. Very few outages around according to the city. About what I was expecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Sadly this thing has been putting down large violent tornados all up the eastern seaboard. Windsor got hit really bad and based on tossed cars I'd expect high end EF-2

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Help age me guys (Shaggy, DENC) I used to be a weather enthusiast (watching TWC when it was very young) etc. Plus I lived in SE Florida, so we were all pretty well versed on hurricanes.

I swear, A cat 1 used to start @ 75mph. Now it's 74? Am I correct now or have I been wrong all my life? ALso I thought named storms that made landfall were never reused, but I seen some in recent years I remember from decades ago.

I'm now understanding if it's a serious storm that hits, it won't be renamed, ie; Andrew, Hugo, Katrina etc.

Thanks

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Help age me guys (Shaggy, DENC) I used to be a weather enthusiast (watching TWC when it was very young) etc. Plus I lived in SE Florida, so we were all pretty well versed on hurricanes.

I swear, A cat 1 used to start @ 75mph. Now it's 74? Am I correct now or have I been wrong all my life? ALso I thought named storms that made landfall were never reused, but I seen some in recent years I remember from decades ago.

I'm now understanding if it's a serious storm that hits, it won't be renamed, ie; Andrew, Hugo, Katrina etc.

Thanks

It does start at 74mph but NHC rounds off. That's why you always see a storm of any strength always 75mph or 80 it never 77mph.

Storm names are only retired if they have severe impacts that set them aside from other storms.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So mid season analog update picks out 1995 and 2005 the 2 busiest hurricane seasons ever. Gonna be a very busy 2 months coming up for us stormtrackers

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
2 busiest hurricane seasons ever
r

wrong Sir,,,you're skipping some I do believe, at least according to the NHC,,,,1933 beat 1995,,,,,

Atlantic_Storm_Count.jpg

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
And yet they reused Bertha this year. Seems to me if I can still remember the name, it’s memorable enough not to reuse.
Yeah, I got married during Bertha (rehearsal night of hurricane, wedding day after) and I consider that a severe impact!!