Summer/Tropical Thread 2020

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Seems we dodged that bullet. Just dumped the gauge only 4 tenths in it. With rains last week and this week was just little over 2 inches. Guess that could change quick

Yeah this kind of setup means streaky rain totals I got over 2" yesterday, the other side of the country got .5".....probably a good chance you get more today especially if your east of I 95...

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
1.77" in Moore county since midnight. 10.88" total since it started raining.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
6 inches of rain in Onslow since sunset yesterday. Wife emptied the rain gauge with 4 in at 330 this afternoon and it has 2 in it already.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Around 4 pm yesterday I drove from JoCo into Raleigh into probably the worst flash flooding I've ever seen. Standing water across 5 lanes of roads I used daily for 20 years. Creeks running through neighborhood yards etc. Yet we only got 1.25 inches of rain.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Around 4 pm yesterday I drove from JoCo into Raleigh into probably the worst flash flooding I've ever seen. Standing water across 5 lanes of roads I used daily for 20 years. Creeks running through neighborhood yards etc. Yet we only got 1.25 inches of rain.

ground saturated,,,,

and concrete/blacktop where ground used to be,,,

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
heck, that was likely it - I just misread what "totals" meant!

bwahahaha

Ok, I need to quit picking on weather prognosticators,,,,they can't help that it's as much guessing as it is science,,,,God has a way of humbling man like that

Wel ill say they do pretty darn good guessing then. They're right far more than they're wrong.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like some real summer heat inbound with temps finally getting over 90 for several days in a row later this week......should also dry out some with no major widespread rain events in the mid range at least...

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Tropics staying active most models now have some kind of tropical system in the GOM possibly reaching cane status but primarily at this point a threat to TX/MX maybe as far east as LA.....this is a remarkably active "early" season and lends credence to the well above normal season predicted.

two_atl_5d0.png

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Models have been hinting at this development for over a week. Gfs called Arthur 9 days before he developed. Models arent doing to terribly bad sniffing out these storms.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
TD3 ( soon TS Christobal ) still looks to be a threat to TX/LA at the moment and would have no impact on NC weather....still very active so far the average date of the first named system in July 9th, the average date for the 3rd named storm is Aug 13th.

Also the models have backed off the heat next week some as well which IMO of course is great news since 90+ sucks......heck I dont like mid to upper 80's lol.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
better hope there's no direct hit on Wilmington. Carolina Beach is being chewed up by these strong NE winds and there's quite a bit of erosion.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
These northeast winds and big waves breaking have eaten the beach pretty bad. Not much surf fishing either so that has been an unfortunate turn of events for our vacation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200614-081541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200614-081541_Gallery.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 105

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
These northeast winds and big waves breaking have eaten the beach pretty bad. Not much surf fishing either so that has been an unfortunate turn of events for our vacation.

I think I read a Trump tweet that he was sending you nice weather for your vacation.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
92L will need watching. Euro has it off Florida and the GFS landfall over Jacksonville to MHX. We have an eternity and this scenario is very doubtful BUT the overall threat will need to be watched.

Attachments

• 20200725_184113.jpg
    20200725_184113.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 64