Summer/Tropical Thread 2020

timber

Twelve Pointer
Weatherman/woman sure missed the temps today. Last i saw thought they talking mid 80s. Dont think it got past 70 here.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well into the mid to upper 80s here today with a summer storm to put a damper on grilling this afternoon. Huge raindrops and a bunch of them at one time.
I'm hoping it passes well before dark so I can salvage at least a portion of the afternoon.

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
Just got another pounding here in Mooresville, probably rained another 3/4 inch in an hour. Had a river running through my side yard.

timber

Twelve Pointer
No rain here. The farmer that works my farm was planting cotton here today. Land was a little heavy but looked like it was doing good job

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Weatherman/woman sure missed the temps today. Last i saw thought they talking mid 80s. Dont think it got past 70 here.
'
Sneaky little backdoor front....mid 80's in Greenville, 45-50 miles NE and its in the 60's in the NE corner of the state...water temp still low enough that any onshore flow is cold still...

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
The 3k nam popped a low off the east coast again and brings it up through NC with additional heavy rains.

Attachments

• 20200525_040757.jpg
    20200525_040757.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 32

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Weak tropical low should move ashore Wed night, conditions are a bit to hostile for this to really take on tropical storm level strength but it will still bring rain and breezy conditions to NC again....the GFS also has a big hurricane hit in LA/MS at the end of the run.....the NHC etc are predicting a high number of storms this year and so far it appears that is a accurate forecast as everything out there that even remotely gets organized seems to want to form a storm.....if this little low coming in Wed had a extra day or so over water it would probably become a tropical system....

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Wet ground breeds better humidity and sort of reloads the atmosphere for daily summer storms. This could bode well for farmers and for temps as Rainier summers can tend to be cooler summers of course. It doesnt bode well for oppressive humidity though.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
This is the temp map for the middle of the day on June 1st on the Euro, these temps are normal low temp type values.....basically average for mid to late March lows are around 50 for most of the state......not bad for June in fact the temps struggle to hit 80 for the first 7 days of June....

sfct.us_ma.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
TS Bertha is coming ashore over central SC in the next few hrs, will bring more uneeded rain to the Carolina's

Tropical Storm Bertha Special Discussion Number 1
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL022020
830 AM EDT Wed May 27 2020

The area of disturbed weather that NHC has been tracking over the
past day or so has quickly become better organized this morning.
The circulation has become better defined and the center has
reformed beneath the area of deep convection just offshore of the
coast of South Carolina. Recent NWS Doppler radar data from
Charleston and buoy data indicates that the system is producing
tropical-storm-force winds. Therefore, advisories are being
initiated on Tropical Storm Bertha. The system will be moving
inland very shortly and little, if any, additional strengthening is
expected. Once inland, the small tropical cyclone should weaken
rapidly and dissipated over central North Carolina on Thursday.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
That was rather quick! At 830 this morning it was just a low with 20% of forming into tropical system. Now 3 hours later its a 50mph named storm.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Wet ground breeds better humidity and sort of reloads the atmosphere for daily summer storms. This could bode well for farmers and for temps as Rainier summers can tend to be cooler summers of course. It doesnt bode well for oppressive humidity though.
we are so "oppressed" these days on everything else so bring on the humidity. the more oppression the merrier. :)

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
We were under a nado warning (well, actually a nader just passed close by the fair grounds) the last time a Bertha came through.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
What does 20% chance of rain, snow, whatever mean? I’ve heard just straight up 20% chance of...
I’ve also hear 20% of the viewing area. 80% of the area will see nothing. 20% of the viewing area might??? see something.
Those are very different things, but the latter seems more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
What does 20% chance of rain, snow, whatever mean? I’ve heard just straight up 20% chance of...
I’ve also hear 20% of the viewing area. 80% of the area will see nothing. 20% of the viewing area might??? see something.
Those are very different things, but the latter seems more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll let the horse or in this case the NWS sum it up.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Storm (good one) raged thru here from 4:15 to 5:00 - left 2 1/2 in of rain in that time

studly lightening as well

timber

Twelve Pointer
Seems we dodged that bullet. Just dumped the gauge only 4 tenths in it. With rains last week and this week was just little over 2 inches. Guess that could change quick

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Big Bertha is ALIVE! I swear the name is used so often that whenever it's mentioned as a storm it throws me off and I think of how bad 96 was.
Wife and I got married after Bertha. Bertha came thru Friday night, rehearsal had no power. Church got power restored about 4:45pm on Saturday and wedding started at 5pm. Photographer got pics of lineman restoring power. One of my groomsmen was in the Coast Guard and got called out, so had to replace him. Definitely a wedding to remember.