Summer/Tropical Thread 2020

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I was hoping to avoid any direct link between ETA and the trough but it looks like enough moisture gets pulled orth to give NC a decent rain
I just heard on the radio that another named storm has formed. They said it isn’t going to hit us, but sets a record. Crazy year ole 2020 has been!!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I just heard on the radio that another named storm has formed. They said it isn’t going to hit us, but sets a record. Crazy year ole 2020 has been!!

Yeah. Most US landfalls in recorded history. We had a minor hit compared to the hits the gulf took. Eta is gonna put just enough moisture into this weeks trough we will see some areas get 1 to 3 inches. Sucks because I have a week off starting friday to finally get in the woods.

This seasons weather has been the hottest I think I move ever tried to hunt. Been hot for sure.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Can you hold off the rain tomorrow? I have it off and the forecast is 20% chance of rain at 6:00 am and 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms at 7:00 am. I wouldn't mind if the rain held off until 10:00 am. I'm not too demanding.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Can you hold off the rain tomorrow? I have it off and the forecast is 20% chance of rain at 6:00 am and 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms at 7:00 am. I wouldn't mind if the rain held off until 10:00 am. I'm not too demanding.

hold off til after Saturday. I took off Friday to do a job that will pay 2x my weekly net pay at my 9-5

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Friggen 3-6" of rain possible here the next 3 days.....and me and Shaggy have off all next week to hunt....the upside is the models have a big cold front Monday afternoon and legit fall/winter like weather the rest of the week....throw in coming out of a new moon this weekend and I got hopes to see some bucks running does....

I will probably start a new fall/winter thread unless the mods just want me to rename this one.....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Crazy rainfall totals occurring across NC. PWAT ( Precipitable water ) values for yesterday thru tomorrow are 2.2" which has to be record setting for November....this basically measures how much capacity the atmosphere has to produce rainfall. 2.2" would be high in June and July....

Many places in NC have received 3-6" of rain over night...

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My rain gauge had 9.5 inches in it this morning at 5 am. Alexander Co..

Never seen anything like this ever as far as how fast that much rain came.

We have about 40 roads closed in the county.
One road (Hwy 16) is closed about 1.5 miles north of Oxford Dam. The water came up over the bridge at Millersville Rd. and took it all out. The bridge sits about 25-30' over the river 😳😳

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Does the title of this need to be changed to Fall/Tropical Thread?

Thats up to Tip I can rename this one or start a new one....

One road (Hwy 16) is closed about 1.5 miles north of Oxford Dam. The water came up over the bridge at Millersville Rd. and took it all out. The bridge sits about 25-30' over the river 😳😳

Warning this is going to get a little technical

PWATS is a measurement used to determine how efficient the atmosphere is at converting moisture to rain.....currently PWATS are slowly coming down from around 2.2-2.3" last night and are still 1.9-2.2", this is extremely high and very much above average for Nov, in fact probably record setting values for most of the state....I mean even in the middle of the summer on crazy humid air mass days with torrential downpouring thunderstorms PWATS are 2.0-2.5 lol....

So this airmass is really really good at producing rain.....some of you may or may not have noticed that the rain outside seems heavier than what the radar maybe is showing....this is because the radar returns ( dbz's) are based on a set algorithm, in cases like this those lighter looking returns are actually quite a bit heavier than normal and the heavy returns are ridiculous rain rates....this is because the PWATS are so high and the atmosphere is being so efficient in wringing out the moisture....so you look at the radar and see light greens over you but look out the window and its moderate to heavy rain.....there are lots of places now showing 12" of rain and lots of places in NC have got 3-6".....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This rain is insane. Haven’t seen this much come down at one time in awhile. I can’t say how much, but was a lot. Everything is flooded here and roads are closed.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I say don't change the name. If you do, just change to tropical season and create a fall/winter one. Hurricane season starts June 1 and end November 30 so every year it's spring/summer/fall/tropical season which is kind of long.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns

Dude in the shorts noped it the hell on out of there lol

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer

That’s crazy! Never seen that happen there before that I can remember,

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
In laws in JoCo emptied his gauge twice yesterday and both times it was full @ 5 inches. No idea how much he got total.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Might have to start talking about the S word soon. Looks like the models pop a +PNA ridge and a super deep cold trough around the start of December. The mountains look good for snow but could be some outside the mountains as well.