Summer Sausage

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I need to learn how to make Summer Sausage. I have seen the packages to make it, just have not committed. Guess it will not be long before I have to do it.

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
I put up 27 lbs last week. Used Legg’s seasoning plus a little of my own. Cured, bloomed, smoked, then cooled as soon as it hit 155. All packed and in the freezer now. When SHTF, we will be eating right. (PS, not the only long term vittles put up recently).

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
The logs are in a chlller till tomorrow for the cure to work

then will heat / smoke real slow to 165 degrees internal
Then into an ice bath for 15-20 minutes

What temperature do you smoke at? If I smoked at 165F, it took 12-14 hours to get just to 150F. It would stall in the 140s. Now I will smoke 4-5 hours, then I vacuum seal and finish off in the sous vide. Reaches 160F in about 1-2 hours.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What temperature do you smoke at? If I smoked at 165F, it took 12-14 hours to get just to 150F. It would stall in the 140s. Now I will smoke 4-5 hours, then I vacuum seal and finish off in the sous vide. Reaches 160F in about 1-2 hours.

I go low and slow for the first 2 hours and then pick it up to 160-180,,,,

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
How do you know the internal temp and then place it in ice water without water getting through the probe hole?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How do you know the internal temp and then place it in ice water without water getting through the probe hole?

well,,,,it could be a variety of ways,,,,
  • i make educated guesses....
  • I use the “press method” like all the high speed steak chefs,,,,
  • bluetooth temp monitor stuffed into the sausage,,,
  • Gorilla tape over the hole,,,
  • Dry ice water,,,,
  • Cosmic forces,,,,
  • Temp gun that reads 3D temp
  • High speed temperature gun i “borrowed” from Raytheon,,
  • That little bit of potential water ain’t gonna hurt nothing,,

lots of methods,,,

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

I vacuum seal all but one summer sausage. I put the unsealed sausage in a one gallon ziplock plastic bag. The wire for the temperature probe comes through the top of the bag. If you submerge a plastic bag in water with just the open top above the water line, the water pushes all air out of the bag. Then I close the ziplock as far as I can and then use a clip to attach the bag to the pot. I just assume all the other sausages will be at the same temperature. Once the internal temperature is 160F, I remove them from the water bath.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I hate yout.
well,,,,it could be a variety of ways,,,,
  • i make educated guesses....
  • I use the “press method” like all the high speed steak chefs,,,,
  • bluetooth temp monitor stuffed into the sausage,,,
  • Gorilla tape over the hole,,,
  • Dry ice water,,,,
  • Cosmic forces,,,,
  • Temp gun that reads 3D temp
  • High speed temperature gun i “borrowed” from Raytheon,,
  • That little bit of potential water ain’t gonna hurt nothing,,

lots of methods,,,

I hate you.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well 5 different people did a taste and all 5 gave thumbs up on this version,,,,

now to determine if it was actually good,,,or they just didn't want to tell a one-eyed fat man that it tasted bad???

it's a keeper

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Has anyone tried smoking it in a pellet grill on low heat? If so, what were the results?
Did a small run (3, 2.5in by 24in) on my Pit Boss , because I did not want to pull the big smoker out for a small run . Ran smoke only for about 2.5 hours and finish them in the oven wrapped in foil at 225 degrees until they had an internal temp of 150 degrees. Came out great!

Jlc11393

Spike
Did a small run (3, 2.5in by 24in) on my Pit Boss , because I did not want to pull the big smoker out for a small run . Ran smoke only for about 2.5 hours and finish them in the oven wrapped in foil at 225 degrees until they had an internal temp of 150 degrees. Came out great!
Awesome! I got a Pit Boss for Christmas last year and have been trying different things on it. I’ve always thought about doing summer sausage. My next big project is gonna be a whole turkey for thanksgiving this year.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Awesome! I got a Pit Boss for Christmas last year and have been trying different things on it. I’ve always thought about doing summer sausage. My next big project is gonna be a whole turkey for thanksgiving this year.
I’ve been wanting to smoke a whole turkey but haven’t committed yet, if you do it post the results !