Summer sausage

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Post up your recipes/methods.

We normally make burger and sausage every year, but have never made summer sausage. Seems like something to research and try with others familiar with it before jumping in.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Post up your recipes/methods.

We normally make burger and sausage every year, but have never made summer sausage. Seems like something to research and try with others familiar with it before jumping in.

I use the cabelas kit....high mountain summer sausage. The only thing to look out for is the casings. The ones they give you are huge. I always pick up a pack of the 1-1.25 lb casings. 25 casings or so will handle 30lbs of meat.

I grind 6 lbs of boston butt and mix it into 24 lbs ground venison. Follow the directions in the kit. I dissolve the spices and cure in the water and then pour that slurry into the meat. I use a small cooler to do the mixing in. Its just easier.

Then we stuff the casings using a crank-handle stuffer. Tie off the ends. Let sit overnight in the fridge.

Next day we follow the smoking directions exactly. When we are done with the smoke time (1hr or 2hrs for this batch) we bring them inside and finish them in the convection oven. Will take 12-18 hrs.