Summer ducks

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Went and did some work on my ponds yesterday. Running some catfish traps for nutria and muskrats, sprayed some aquatic invasives, etc. Saw 4 diff pairs of wood ducks using our ditches and one mama wood duck using our wood duck box. Hearing reports from my buddy down there and my nephew when he has been turkey hunting they are seeing a good number of wood duck babies in and around our place. Hopefully they will get a good hatch this year. Its the off season and its getting warm but cool to see some ducks around!

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Have seen a lot of woodies on my way to work lately, and had a group of about 10 scoters fly past the boat while fishing for Spanish Mackerel last week about 3 miles offshore

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I used to see a lot of ruddies ducks that would hang around the raleigh lakes all summer......haven't seen that in quite a while but don't see them that much during the season now either. I've been seeing quite a few woodies while fishing.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Have seen a lot of woodies on my way to work lately, and had a group of about 10 scoters fly past the boat while fishing for Spanish Mackerel last week about 3 miles offshore
I saw scoters most every day last week, just a couple hundred yards off Atlantic Beach.
Catch any Spanish??

Clark

Ten Pointer
Walked a creek bottom chasing turkeys today. Full of woodies, they did not fly off like usual but swam to the far side of the marsh, several skittered along the water - ducklings?

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Saw several blue wing teal today on a lake in the Piedmont today along with a lot of woodies. More ducks here in may than in November lol

Gus

Six Pointer
Walked a creek bottom chasing turkeys today. Full of woodies, they did not fly off like usual but swam to the far side of the marsh, several skittered along the water - ducklings?
Ive seen that right often- was always a hawk sitting on them. They'll do anything possible not to fly with a hawk huntin them.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Ive seen that right often- was always a hawk sitting on them. They'll do anything possible not to fly with a hawk huntin them.
Certainly were hawks around. Headed back there tomorrow where I heard a turkey, will be interesting to see if they do the same.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Several wood ducks on the swamp where I turkey hunt. Haven't seen any little ones yet, but I can't see across it & there's lots of brush & downed trees.

Jim

SurferGuy08

Six Pointer
I saw 5 wood ducks at my lease while turkey hunting Saturday. We had a drake mallard in a retention pond that was still holding water in my neighborhood yesterday. I saw 3 more fly over on Monday. The dog heard them and then sat down with his ears perked watching the sky. He must be ready for duck season already.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Went and did some work on my ponds yesterday. Running some catfish traps for nutria and muskrats, sprayed some aquatic invasives, etc. Saw 4 diff pairs of wood ducks using our ditches and one mama wood duck using our wood duck box. Hearing reports from my buddy down there and my nephew when he has been turkey hunting they are seeing a good number of wood duck babies in and around our place. Hopefully they will get a good hatch this year. Its the off season and its getting warm but cool to see some ducks around!
lets hear about these catfish traps...

kahunter

Eight Pointer
mostly use these: Tomahawk Model 406 single door, rigid, extra large fish trap

I checked them yesterday and caught 6 rats. Mostly catching small ones now that the water is lower and I cannot get the trap completely submerged. I also have used another type of 2 throat catfish trap that has worked great but I cant seem to find anymore of those. Its not gonna eliminate them completely but it does help