Suggestions on fleshing knives?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Was gonna pull the trigger on an “economy priced” knife but have read that it’s better to spend the extra money on a good quality one. I’m not expecting anyone to say they’ve had great experiences with a $20 fleshing knife but I wanted to throw this out there and see the consensus. Thanks fellas

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Tractor Supply at Dunn and I believe the Fuquay Varina store has the Sharade "Uncle Henry" fillet knife with a leather sheath, bone handle and like $12 or $15....holds an edge great. Best fillet knife for the money I have found. I bought several for Christmas gifts last year for some fishing friends and these guys love them. The model # is on the blade right up against the handle...167UH, so you may can fine them on Sharades web site if you can't get them in your Tractor Supply. May only carry them closer to Christmas.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Those are nice Winnie, but GreenBean's looking for FLESHING knife, for scraping membrane from furbearer hides.
I think Prune uses economy mostly Chris, like the ones that are $10 from SE Supplies.
Hope he'll chime in...…..
Actually, I'll text him to chime in !!!!!!!
I may see him this weekend to pick up your Beam and give him snares and 3 otters to put up for me.

Prune

Four Pointer
It is best to learn with a sharp knife from the get go..as far as price i have put up alot of fur with a 9.95 cheapo..
Used a necker 600 for about 20 years now and have done thousands of critters with it.
Have used green english knife works good but is to wide puts your elbows outside your shoulders and is heavy.
Used a grizzle gettter was alright but it only is for shaving have to use cheap knife above for the pushing part.
But after a fur handling class last year got a knife in my hand that is way above the necker 600 the post 2 handled is a dream on beaver and coon and is wicked sharp...
I also have a necker 700 and still use it but only on beavers.

So here is what im gonna do when i get 7oaks the beam im gonna srnd a necker 600 for ya to try out...if ya like it we'll work something out at convention in Septembe...ya dont like it hand her back and all good..this way ya can try before ya buy.

But know matter what get ya an el'cheapo handy knife in the shed.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
It is best to learn with a sharp knife from the get go..as far as price i have put up alot of fur with a 9.95 cheapo..
Used a necker 600 for about 20 years now and have done thousands of critters with it.
Have used green english knife works good but is to wide puts your elbows outside your shoulders and is heavy.
Used a grizzle gettter was alright but it only is for shaving have to use cheap knife above for the pushing part.
But after a fur handling class last year got a knife in my hand that is way above the necker 600 the post 2 handled is a dream on beaver and coon and is wicked sharp...
I also have a necker 700 and still use it but only on beavers.

So here is what im gonna do when i get 7oaks the beam im gonna srnd a necker 600 for ya to try out...if ya like it we'll work something out at convention in Septembe...ya dont like it hand her back and all good..this way ya can try before ya buy.

But know matter what get ya an el'cheapo handy knife in the shed.
I greatly appreciate ya. Thanks again prune!!

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You only have to pay for good quality once. You pay for poor quality over and over again.

At that fur handling class mentioned by Prune, the two instructors had never used a Post fleshing knife. A couple of students had Post knives with them and both instructors ended up trying the Post knives at different times and at different locations in the fur shed. Upon trying the Post knife, their initial comment was virtually identical......"I have got to have one of these". They both own a Post knife now!

I started with a Necker 600 myself and I agree that it certainly better than the el cheapos but once I laid hands on a Post, I rarely ever use my Necker.

Cheap fleshing knives are fine for critters that can be pushed clean but on beaver, otter and grissly coon where you have to use the sharp side, a good quality sharp knife that will hold and edge sure makes the job go better for me.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
You only have to pay for good quality once. You pay for poor quality over and over again.

At that fur handling class mentioned by Prune, the two instructors had never used a Post fleshing knife. A couple of students had Post knives with them and both instructors ended up trying the Post knives at different times and at different locations in the fur shed. Upon trying the Post knife, their initial comment was virtually identical......"I have got to have one of these". They both own a Post knife now!

I started with a Necker 600 myself and I agree that it certainly better than the el cheapos but once I laid hands on a Post, I rarely ever use my Necker.

Cheap fleshing knives are fine for critters that can be pushed clean but on beaver, otter and grissly coon where you have to use the sharp side, a good quality sharp knife that will hold and edge sure makes the job go better for me.

Thanks for the insight Harold!