Suggestioned locations for beginner in Gaston County

Adultbeginner

Button Buck
Hey Guys,

First post here. As my username denotes, I'm an adult that'd like to get into hunting for meat sourcing. Is anyone aware of a reputable hunting club in the west charlotte area? I'm just looking for a place to start, as none of my local family or friends are experienced hunters. Any info or direction is much appreciated. I'd like to be pointed in the right direction by this time next year.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I only know one person who belongs to a club and it's down around Union, SC where most club hunters around here go. You'd pretty much need to know a member of a club which might have an opening, but many clubs have a full membership roster. I used to belong to a pretty good club over in Montgomery County but not sure they still exist. Getting access to land to hunt will be the most difficult part though there are numerous game lands in the foothills. Sounds as if you might need some tutoring in the nuts and bolts of hunting and that might be a challenge also. Maybe some more locals will chime in with suggestions and anyone else with advice would no doubt be welcome. Best of luck getting started.

old dog

Spike
As an "adult beginner" also ( as of last year) I have one word of advice-squirrels. If you start on squirrels you will learn valuable skills, have more and easier hunting opportunities and also find success sooner. Plus they're tasty little buggers. A patch of game land and a .410 will get you going. I think one of the reasons for huntings decline is the lack of interest in small game. The first day my son and I took to the woods as hunters we each came home with a squirrel. Just a squirrel you might say, but it made all the difference in the world to us.

hclaye25

Four Pointer
Check Craigslist. There use to be numerous openings before the economy got hot. I still regularly check just to see what’s out there and there hasn’t been a lot lately. Probably after the new year there will be some openings in S.C. (usually Chester & Lancaster).

Adultbeginner

Button Buck
Guys,
I really appreciate all of the suggestions! Maybe I will go out for a squirrel hunt. Could be a good place to start. If anyone thinks of any other suggestions or resources I'm open to anything. I've started reading up, doing web research, but I'm looking forward to just getting into the woods. I've also planned to start hitting the gun range to ensure I'm proficient with a weapon. I picked up a 10/22 to get out and plink around with. I also grabbed a .308 for when the time comes (hopefully next season). Thanks again for the advice!

krausegd

Spike
I’m in south Charlotte and have s few friends that I hunt with. Pm me, I’ll be using the off season for scouting etc if you’d like to tag a long. I’m a beginner myself, but I did knock off 2 wild hogs the other day on public.

We do both sc and nc game lands.

Last edited: