Submarine Fender Bender

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

Our modern navy is pretty bad at piloting boats (see other recent crashes). But one has to wonder if they hit a Chinese boat shadowing them or if something else happened, like hitting another sea Mount while playing Red October.

Clark

Ten Pointer
No first hand knowledge, but I assumed it was another boat. If they nail a rock I think they would be done, even at patrol speeds. Interesting how the news reports are already focusing about how difficult navigation is in that area due to ambient noise.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
No first hand knowledge, but I assumed it was another boat. If they nail a rock I think they would be done, even at patrol speeds. Interesting how the news reports are already focusing about how difficult navigation is in that area due to ambient noise.
In 2005 one hit an undersea mountain at full speed. Flattened the nose and resulted in one death and most of the crew having some type of injury. They were not using active sonar at the time and outdated maps. Despite the damage they were able to surface and make it back to Guam.

Clark

Ten Pointer
In 2005 one hit an undersea mountain at full speed. Flattened the nose and resulted in one death and most of the crew having some type of injury. They were not using active sonar at the time and outdated maps. Despite the damage they were able to surface and make it back to Guam.
I assume they almost never use active? Tough hull to hit a rock at 30 kts and survive.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure what the procedures are regarding when they use what. They had passive running but the speed rendered it pretty much useless.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
how old do your maps have to be to not have a mountain on them?

:)
Ha yea I thought the same thing. If I had to guess they just didnt have detailed maps for the area at the time. It would seem like you would only want to travel full steam in areas with detailed charts. I believe this incident lead to the SUBSAFE program or the modification of it either this one or the one that sank in the 60s.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Ha yea I thought the same thing. If I had to guess they just didnt have detailed maps for the area at the time. It would seem like you would only want to travel full steam in areas with detailed charts. I believe this incident lead to the SUBSAFE program or the modification of it either this one or the one that sank in the 60s.

probably just didn’t want to pony up for the Navionics chip.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Was Captain BILL CLINTON the submarine commander & is this another case of him putting things where they do not belong?

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

Our modern navy is pretty bad at piloting boats (see other recent crashes). But one has to wonder if they hit a Chinese boat shadowing them or if something else happened, like hitting another sea Mount while playing Red October.

he gone

like when your dad asked 7yo you, on one side of the tractor, to hold an adjustable wrench on a 1” nut while he, on the other side, leans on it with all his weight using a 3’ pull handle.

the minute that thing slips out of your hand and your dad says, “just go sit it the truck.”

lol

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
She thought one of the criteria, minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit, was stupid. It wasn't up to her to decide. Damn!!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
She thought one of the criteria, minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit, was stupid. It wasn't up to her to decide. Damn!!
It wasn’t up to her to decide for sure. But the only stupid in this scenario was the Navy wanting sub steel tested to -100 F lolololol

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Anyone heard of Factor of Safety? Would you want a 10,000lb weight limit bridge built and tested to 10,000lbs, or MAYBE we should design, build and/or test to something greater?
She was given criteria, falsified testing based on her own thoughts, not the criteria that was requested. No matter how dumb she thought it was, it wasn't her place to get paid for NOT doing what she paid to do.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone heard of Factor of Safety? Would you want a 10,000lb weight limit bridge built and tested to 10,000lbs, or MAYBE we should design, build and/or test to something greater?
She was given criteria, falsified testing based on her own thoughts, not the criteria that was requested. No matter how dumb she thought it was, it wasn't her place to get paid for NOT doing what she paid to do.

I don't think anyone here disagrees that what she did was 100% wrong. We're just questioning the criteria.

land you have a very good point on the criteria.