Sub compact/compact tractor

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
I’m about to purchase a sub compact/compact tractor. Will have a front loader, and small bush hog. Which is better and why?

John Deere,Kubato, Massy Ferguson, Mirhindra (forgot about that one) or LS

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would stay away from LS also. If you want to go with a lesser price tag stay with mahindra. New Holland Workmaster is worth looking at with the kubota and JD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a 40 HP Kubota and am very pleased with it. My neighbor just bought a NH and I have added some options for him and had the opportunity to run it some and be all over it. For what he paid for it and what I have seen so far I would give them a real close look if I were looking at a new one, which I wouldn't. I despise the emissions crap and am glad mine was bought the year before that came to pass.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
If you like poor customer service, no warranty coverage and expensive hard to find part's I suggest you buy a mihindra. You will get all that then some. I own one but can't sell it to you due to it being in the dealership garage for over 3 months.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Owned a CASE DX33 4wd and it was trouble free and always surprised me at what it was able to do for a small tractor, 4wd made all the difference.
In 2012 I bought a new JD 3520 4wd with loader and 4in1 bucket. More comfortable than the DX33 and a little more HP.
Loader is a must have now and the 4in1 bucket is awesome and would never , NEVER own a loader without it.
It's pricey but well worth it.
I looked at the similar size Kubota before buying the JD and at that time the Kubota was a good bit cheaper in price.
I was just about sold on the Kubota from price and good things I'd heard from them before really looking at them closely.
After comparing it in person to the JD I just didn't feel it was as well built as the JD and not nearly as comfortable.
I don't put many hours on my tractor and I maintain them well , BUT when I use it I'm hard on it at times as I don't turn away from much when working it.
Only weak point I found is the 3 point link arms , bent one side couple different times on the JD and also the DX .
But I bent them by raming stumps in reverse trying to push them out of the ground , arms are for pulling not pushing so I'm to blame for that.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Had Kubota, JD and Massey as I have mentioned on here before. If buying new and small, just go ahead and buy the Kubota. I have five of them now and will never look at anything else in the new, compact segment. Large, 100+ HP tractors, then JD. Older tractors then MF with Perkins, older JD's, Fords. I hear too many good AND bad reports about new Mahindra and Kioti. I think they are not as consistent as Kubota. Yes you can have issues with Kubota but in general they are the Toyota of tractors.

jad

Four Pointer
Anyone have experience with RK tractors, they are sold through Rural King stores.
They seem to be solid tractors and they come with a lot of standard features that are options on other brands.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
None of them... I'm teasing... sorta. Depends on what you envision.

I prefer to have an older 35-40 hp utility for the mower and a skid steer (which I do). Could it be an option?Quickly scratch a sub compact, that's basically an MTD lawnmower with short term steroid injections.

Define small bush hog... 4,5,6,7 feet? It's all about pto horsepower and ballast. Rule of thumb is 5 hp for every foot but I wouldn't want less than 35 for a 6 footer for a clean cut. Thicker the grass the more power you NEED.

Give some more info about what you plan to do because right now I think you need a Steiger :)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

works a "kill plot" super fast,,,,,,,,,,

STEIGER_PANTHER.jpg

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I dont have any, but always heard good things about Kubota.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was told that all the small tractors were made over seas so it didn't really matter which one you looked at, you're not going to get one Made in America. But that was a Case dealer telling me that.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Keep paths mowed, mow around the pond, Disc, spray, plant food plots (roughly 2-3 acres), move gravel, dirt for paths, haul firewood, etc. I am looking sub compact and thought the same thing about mower on steroids but was impressed with my friends subcompact Kubota I drove today. My dad is a farmer, I have access to any size tractor/implement I would need, except something small enough to work on the dam of my pond and some of my atv trails. Plus this time of year is rough when everything is being used to farm. I also have the ability to get a excavator/dozer/skid steer whenever for short periods at a time. I am trying to stay out of my dad’s way by purchasing a smaller tractor and having the freedom to do work anytime I am on my land. As for a bush hog, 4’ bush hog will do all I need. I currently mow paths with a riding mower between bush hogging.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
You don't want a SCUT. Look at stuff like Kubota's B series (not Bx). I believe the smallest one doesn't have emission systems. There are a lot of satisfied B series owners.

I am not well versed on current compact offerings but do know in conversations with people that owned SCUTs they were disappointed. Notable cons were rougher ride due to smaller tires to make the tractor profile shorter and with that 3 point lift height was also lower.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
You don't want a SCUT. Look at stuff like Kubota's B series (not Bx). I believe the smallest one doesn't have emission systems. There are a lot of satisfied B series owners.

I am not well versed on current compact offerings but do know in conversations with people that owned SCUTs they were disappointed. Notable cons were rougher ride due to smaller tires to make the tractor profile shorter and with that 3 point lift height was also lower.
Thanks, good info.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most of the Christmas tree farmers yhat are using the low center of gravity compacts are using Kubota.
That tells me something about how well they're made, those guys aren't traveling on your average flat farmland and are working some rough soil conditions.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
We have a 42 Hp Kioti. Put 300 hours on it the so far and haven’t had a single problem out of it. I would recommend taking a look at Kioti.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Narrow it down to three. Go to each dealership, sit on the tractor and chew some fat with the salesman. Give your salesman a score of 1-10 and the tractor a score 1-10. End of the day, add’em up and buy whichever scored highest.
You gonna get told umpteen different things on here. I myself, have a John Deere. I like it, it works, and the salesman I bought it from was really nice and 3-1/2 years later, I call him needing something and he will answer the phone every time and call me by my name. That means a lot to me. Maybe not so much for others but like I said, it’s one of many different opinions you’ll get.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
I was told that all the small tractors were made over seas so it didn't really matter which one you looked at, you're not going to get one Made in America. But that was a Case dealer telling me that.

When I sold my CASE DX33 I went back to the CASE dealer planning to buy another in early 2012 .
Case dealer only had couple new compact tractors on the lot and the one I wanted were sun faded so bad I wouldn't consider buying it.
Talked about ordering a new tractor and CASE dealer told me the new tractors were being made overseas and he could not tell me what quality to expect as he himself didn't know. Reason I ended up with the JD.

From what I understand JD 2000 series are built in Japan , 3000 & 4000 built in GA. and 5000 built in India ???

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Keep paths mowed, mow around the pond, Disc, spray, plant food plots (roughly 2-3 acres), move gravel, dirt for paths, haul firewood, etc. I am looking sub compact and thought the same thing about mower on steroids but was impressed with my friends subcompact Kubota I drove today. My dad is a farmer, I have access to any size tractor/implement I would need, except something small enough to work on the dam of my pond and some of my atv trails. Plus this time of year is rough when everything is being used to farm. I also have the ability to get a excavator/dozer/skid steer whenever for short periods at a time. I am trying to stay out of my dad’s way by purchasing a smaller tractor and having the freedom to do work anytime I am on my land. As for a bush hog, 4’ bush hog will do all I need. I currently mow paths with a riding mower between bush hogging.

Get a bush hog or finishing mower at least as wide as your tractor if the HP will allow it.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I bought a 2004 John Deere 790 with 600 hours and saved 10 to 15k. I’m pretty happy with the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
If you like poor customer service, no warranty coverage and expensive hard to find part's I suggest you buy a mihindra. You will get all that then some. I own one but can't sell it to you due to it being in the dealership garage for over 3 months.
Why the angry face? Have you had the same experience I have?