Stuck Primers

Carolinacrazy25

Button Buck
I bought a CVA Wolf and changed out the breech plug so I can shoot BH209. The only problem is the primers will get stuck after every shot where I have to take a pair of pliers to remove or take the breech plug out completely. I’m using Winchester W209 primers if that helps. Is the anything I can do to fix the issue?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a Wolf and I don’t have that issue. You are using Winchester 209 shotgun primers not Winchester 209 muzzleloader primers right? Are the primers going in hard? What powder charge and bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I did a quick oogle trip across the interweb... Appears the Win W209 has a longer length by one poster, a mere .003, compared to a CCI 209M. Saw some complaints about the Winchester lodging but no real evidence of cause. I wouldn’t think length would have an effect. Mind you this was a super quick look to see if I could help.

If you have calipers handy you can compare it to my sampling. I can remove with my fingers, CVA Accura.

CCI 209M NECK dia is .239-.242
My breech plug measures .247

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Load is 75 gr (weighed) and shockwave 250 gr projectile. I have the deprimer tool but it bends before it takes the primer out

Not an overload as I was suspecting. Maybe back off to 70 gr just to see if it improves any. The other option is as BW said, try other primers IF you can find any nowadays.

Carolinacrazy25

Button Buck
Thanks for the help. I was testing charges and seeing how they perform. I started with 70 gr and it was the same but I’ve looked everywhere and there’s not any primers to be found

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have the occasional primers stick. I use Fiocch 209 primers. It often means I need to clean the breech plug.