Stuck a Pope....

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Well, a gross P&Y anyway, he ain't got the symmetry to stay there. Not that it matters...

Haven't been hunting much at all this year, think that was my 5th sit of the season. I don't have the time I used to, and it's been so hot I haven't cared. Had a few cams out in the last couple weeks, but nothing special showed up. Until I checked the cam down by the old beaver swamp...

I checked the cam Saturday morn, and had a video from Friday of 2 bucks. Front buck was grainy, but I could tell enough;) Most all the videos on that cam were in the daylight, so I figured that area needed hunting. I didn't chance it Saturday, as hot as it was, then I slept in Sunday and took the (9 months pregnant)wife to lunch.

Headed over to Pops around 2, and after we cleaned up a few trees in prep for ML season, we made a plan. Pops hunted one side of the creek, and I the other, about 200 yards apart. I jumped 2 walking in, and had 3 more feed thru while I was looking a tree.

Found a crooked poplar on the edge of an oak and beech flat, 60 yds up the hill from the creek, and had to go to 25ft to get cover. Got settled in a few min after 5, and proceeded to go nearly skirl deaf. The wind was a little wonky, but it laid about 6.

20 min after 6, and he just appears at 40yds, easing down the creek bottom and picking up an occasional akern. I looked and looked out in front of him, trying to find a hole I could get an arrow thru.

But he had other plans. He did the one thing that big deer rarely do....he hung a left and headed for a hole I could drive a dump truck thru...

He walked behind a clump of small maples, and I know that's when I drew, though I dont remember actually drawing my bow. I had missile lock as horns, then neck, then shoulder walked out into that opening at 25 steps...

The softest EERRT I could manage and his head snapped up...I can still see that OH $#!# look on his face, but it was to late as I watched that blue flash disappear behind his shoulder. He jumped about 9 feet straight up and kicked, and hit the ground running flat out. He made it across the creek and into some 10 year old pines, and I heard the crash.

My best bowkill, and my best live weight at 193lbs

20181021_204851.jpg20181021_211057.jpg20181021_192045.jpg

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Congrats. You might as well go on back to the house and sit with Mama-to-be and wait for the next trophy. Glad you got that one just in time. Not much more hunting in sight for you for a while.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats!! That's a stud right there!! I think I woulda fell out the tree if he stepped out on me.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Very nice!! I can't tell you how many bucks I have shot that have green scored over 125 to fall just under!! That's a great buck glad you got him.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
should have let him stud and shot him in December!!!

just picking, i'm sure he spread some genes around last year. Great Buck!!!

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And I had seen a shooter from my perch about 10 minutes before he shot but the one I saw was in the thick pines and did not come out. All I ever saw was head and rack that we have some history with from an incident last year in that same beaver swamp. Somebody gave him a haircut and the name stuck. I was not the barber but one of us laid eyes on him later in the year and confirmed the trim.

But the coolest thing about the evening was hearing that NAP Spitfire blast through both sets of ribs when Q2 shot. SSSSWWWWAAAACCCCKKK! We were about 200 yds apart and the deer was between us. Did not take long for the phone to ring and confirm what I thought I had heard.

One of the best evenings I have had in the woods in a while!

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
sweet,,,,,,,,

oh, wait - "just think what he'd of been next year",,,,,,,,,,

aw, BS - that's a fine fine deer!!