String dampener

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
What's the best string dampener(s) to use without using a bow press? Monkey tails, cat tails, bowman ultrajax, etc?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Get some bundles of jig skirting(cat whiskers)and tie them to the string with multiple half hitches......

Natural Flight Ryan

Get some bundles of jig skirting(cat whiskers)and tie them to the string with multiple half hitches......

I would think you would be looking at sacrificing quite a bit of speed if you went that route, but I'm no bow tech...

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You're right, you might give up a few fps but I'd bet a Franklin against a day old doughnut that without a chrono there'd be one in a hundred who could tell it. Without a press what are the other options?

Natural Flight Ryan

What's the best string dampener(s) to use without using a bow press? Monkey tails, cat tails, bowman ultrajax, etc?

If you're just trying to avoid paying a bow shop, I can probably put you on a press, if you are looking just for long term convenience, I have no idea...

Natural Flight Ryan

You're right, you might give up a few fps but I'd bet a Franklin against a day old doughnut that without a chrono there'd be one in a hundred who could tell it. Without a press what are the other options?

I agree, but if you throw away 15-20 fps for every accessory you add to a compound, it will add up quick. BTW, I can't see the difference in my .380 vs my .270, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Halffast

Six Pointer
I agree, but if you throw away 15-20 fps for every accessory you add to a compound, it will add up quick. BTW, I can't see the difference in my .380 vs my .270, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
You aren't drinking and headed to the beach with Sharps are you?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Easy NFR now...easy. We're talking about adding a string silencer, a half-handful of rubber, not a boat anchor. No offense to anybody in the business but if I couldn't tie a few strands of rubber onto a string with a few half hitches I should probably sell the bow and wait for gun season. I don't see the need to waste shop time if I can do it myself.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
why do you want string silencers? A deer is going to here and jump the quietest bow. I learned the hard way. Aim low but not to low.
To answer your question monkey tails are pretty cool

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I used string leeches for a long time but they just don't last. A couple years ago I started using cat whiskers called cool cats and they work great. Once installed they form into a ball and you just separate the strands. They have a website that you can go to and they show you how to tie them on and it's very simple to do. You can also mix colors to match your bow or string. They do a great job at silencing the twang in the string and are very durable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Archery-Com...220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339180feac

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Monkey tails are a simple solution and no press required. They can be replaced anytime and anywhere.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess over the years I've used most of them. Now on my one strings I use four minis, two 1" puffs, spaced a couple of inches apart on both ends, instead of one large puff or cat whisker. Same silencing effect, less bulk at one spot on the string. All of my bows are plenty quiet, even with light arrows.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Old cat whiskers are hard to beat. Most of the new stuff will blow apart after a few shots in my experience. Cats dry rot after a couple year...but that's the only downfall I see.

String leeches, bow jacks, monkey tails....I've always had issues with them tearing up after a couple weeks.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Ive shot monkey tails on my bow for over 1 yr and never broken 1. All depends on placement on string. Monkey tails want hold moisture like cat whiskers or older style puffs either. These have been my observations. All listed will work fine and help quite ones bow.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Where is proper placement in a monster? The cables are the only places i can make them stay without tearing up. Even on the string, they seem to slide around

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Where is proper placement in a monster? The cables are the only places i can make them stay without tearing up. Even on the string, they seem to slide around

You have to put them above the string grub on top and below it on the bottom. What happens a lot of times is the tail when it stretches from the shot hits the metal ring of the AVS and it breaks them. I use a bit of serving above to stop it from moving.