Strike netters

darenative

Twelve Pointer
why dont fishing guides all get comm licenses?
would that provide a work around on rec flounder and trout limit reductions?
Nc doesnt have a rod and reel commercial fishery for a lot of species, so no it's not really a work around for guides.
DMF will give the inshore commercial netters crap for even having a rod on the boat most times...
Welcome to bassakwards NC fisheries management🥴

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
For as long as they are making income from it and are local. Shrimp trawlers inshore should be limited to vessels 20’ and under and also local. This protects the heritage portion of NC anything else is just big business taking over our fisheries.
Fair enough, I just didn't know where you stood on that but I agree with that response. Not so much on on the others. If a person holds a commercial license and pays to renew it every year I feel they should be able to feed their families with what they catch . Several family members have commercial license and we definitely aren't depleting the resource. It would definitely be cheaper to buy fish from a wholesaler after all cost are added up but we like to set a net now and then and keep up a family tradition. There are so many laws in place it's just easier for us to renew the license.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I dont personally know anyone with a freezer in their house big enough to be classified as a threat to the resource..... meanwhile the big trawlers are still in the sounds of coastal nc.
Which seems like credible threat to you?

I can count on both hands the people that I personally know that can catch a flounder limit regularly....but can name many many fisherman who don't. Guess all the people I know suck at fishing....that's why I took up gigging and rarely get a limit doing that also.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I can count on both hands the people that I personally know that can catch a flounder limit regularly....but can name many many fisherman who don't. Guess all the people I know suck at fishing....that's why I took up gigging and rarely get a limit doing that also.
So you think mom and pop with a commercial license thats used to fill their freezer are responsible for the state of the flounder fishery in NC?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
So you think mom and pop with a commercial license thats used to fill their freezer are responsible for the state of the flounder fishery in NC?

I have no issue with that, exactly how big do you think their freezer is?

If they weren't $2k+ to have one.....I would.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Without a commercial license I would not go gigging. It would take longer to drive to the boat ramp then it would to gig four flounder. There is no shortage of flounder in the cape fear river system. However there is a shortage of true flounder fisherman. The flounder fisherman I know have no problem putting a limit of three to five pound fish in the boat in a short time. They know where to be and at what time. Those are the guys in beat up Jon boats that are headed out when everyone else is headed in .

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I have a gig boat but I walk to the end of the Street and walk a mile in the water alot of nights....easy but alot less fish just because you can't cover the ground vs a boat

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Without a commercial license I would not go gigging. It would take longer to drive to the boat ramp then it would to gig four flounder. There is no shortage of flounder in the cape fear river system. However there is a shortage of true flounder fisherman. The flounder fisherman I know have no problem putting a limit of three to five pound fish in the boat in a short time. They know where to be and at what time. Those are the guys in beat up Jon boats that are headed out when everyone else is headed in .

My dad and his friend had an old 16’ Lowe Jon boat and a tandem truck couldn’t haul the flounder they caught in that thing. I still have the boat just couldn’t get rid of it too many good memories.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I have a gig boat but I walk to the end of the Street and walk a mile in the water alot of nights....easy but alot less fish just because you can't cover the ground vs a boat
I have been known to walk and gig , well maybe stumble and gig. Sometimes it's best to leave the boat and truck at home 😂

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You guys are mighty tough behind them there computers. Got me shakin' in my boots with all that talk about free swimmin' lessons. Thanks for the heads up.
Sorry, I missed this, thought you were all done selling woof tickets. I get out from behind this computer real regular and those here that know me will tell you.... there's not a thing I'd say to you from behind it that I wouldn't say to your face.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I noticed a lot of mono net washed up in the marshes and creek banks the last few weeks. Some a hundred feet or more long. A few odds and ends laying around the public ramps and docks too. I can only imagine how much is floating around out there waiting for an unsuspecting prop or critter to tangle up. I picked up what I could and took it to the local dumpster.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Bottom line, gill nets and trawlers don't need to be in our nursery areas of our sounds, creeks and rivers....but thay are...even today. It's not about money, because the fish caught by recs are worth ten times the money, than they are sold for seafood. Our inshore fishing could be the best in the nation and we can't even keep flounder. Nothing really changes in this state and I've fished it for sixty years. Thank goodness for deer & turkey hunting to divert my anger away from our state's short sighted view on managing our saltwater resourses for commercial fishing.

Last edited: