strange things in the woods

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I was out Saturday hunting a place I hadn't been to in 10 years. I remembered from back then that here was a horse pasture back in the woods that had 2 horses in it, one was a paint. I came upon that same pasture on Saturday, and it still had two horse in it, one a paint. The strange thing was, the fence no longer went all the way around the pasture - but the horses were in there, and no evidence I could see of them walking out into the woods. The fence has been in disrepair for some time, and I'd guess only about 1/3 of the fence was up at all, in scattered segments. The horses just looked at me but never approached. Have no idea why they stayed in there...

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That does seem odd, sort of like an old dog that just lays in the yard I guess.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Horses are very simple minded animals.... smart but simple. You can take a horse out of it's pasture, make it jump 4' and 5' jumps with ease, then put it back in the pasture with a 3' fence and it will stay. My guess is the horses stay there because they always have and it's all they know.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
My parents friends trained horses when i was growing up. Their personal horses were never fenced in or kept in stalls like the horses they boarded or trained. but they were always right around the barn or the house.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I used to keep horses and they almost always wanted out of their stalls, but give them some room to run around and graze and you could keep them in with a piece of string.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If my wife's event horse could get out, he'd run around anywhere he could go...until it was time to eat. Then he'd make a B-line for his stall and expect to be fed.

Jim