Straighten a barrel

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Can anyone here do it or recommend someone? I have an old H&R 20 gauge single shot that patterns to the left. Like a foot left at 25-30 yards. Yes it's a cheap gun but it is sentimental as it was my first gun 42 years ago and I'd like it fixed.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Any decent gunsmith should have a barrel straightener.
They had us make them in Gunsmith School as part of the metal working class.
The public would be surprised how bowed many barrels come from the factory.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t know about slamming. Figure out which way it needs to go, wedge it, and apply pressure the direction you want.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I saw a video once of Jim Clark's (Clark's Custom Guns) work area and there was a piece of dimensional lumber (a 4x4, IIRC) mounted upright on a heavy bench and covered with a piece of leather. It was used by him to bend SG barrels (with heavy strikes) and the story went he was very good at getting a zero. It's worth noting that he was the only one in the shop with the mojo to do those "modifications".

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have found my bend to be in the last 1/2" of the muzzle end. Debating whether to cut an inch off and let it be cylinder bore or get it threaded for chokes.....

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have found my bend to be in the last 1/2" of the muzzle end. Debating whether to cut an in off and let it be cylinder bore or get it threaded for chokes.....
Get it threaded for chokes, you will love it. I have a 20 and a 12. I shortened mine considerably to use when I am hunting my dogs and I can get around in thick stuff but it shoots great. I would err about shortening it much as it makes many of those guns to hit high and you have to use a very high front bead.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's 26" barrel, thinking about making it 24" or 25". Any suggestions for someone thread it?
I cut them and and recrowned them myself, as well as replacing the bead, that saved some money. I still had my FFL and I was sending mine to Michael Orlen in Ma. He gave dealers a decent deal and his turn around time was great. He did excellent work. I am sure there are people local. I also hear the guy at Sumtoy is good also.
(413) 256-1630

Mike Orlen Gunsmithing

79 Salem Street
Amherst, MA 01002

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's straight now. Cut it back to 24" with a tubing cutter. Gonna look into putting a bead back on. Want to try some slugs and buckshot before deciding on threading it for chokes.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We straighten shafting using heat and water. Use a dial indicator checking runout. That’s with a solid bar though.... no idea how that applies with the hole through the middle.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
That's how I used to make slug barrels back in the 80's...cut off the choke and add rifle sights.

BUT, you may need to bend/straighten the barrel to adjust the POI if too far off

Slugs typically shoot GREAT with no choke