Stopping "crazy" people from legally buying guns?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I think the short-term goal for the liberty snatchers here is to target one of their biggest threats in the SHTF scenario … seasoned combat veterans.

They can 'flag' people who may not buy, but there's always going to be the ability to use it to flag people who DO own firearms.

And those who may not purchase are left to either buying one illegally or use gasoline and matches, etc... <--- And that's not a joke.

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Having worked in Mental health for most of my career I can tell you some things that may surprise the average person. Many of the folks I worked with technically still qualify to purchase firearms despite spending time in Dix hospital. Unless they go before a judge and get held against their will they can still get firearms. Many 72 hr holds voluntarily sign themselves in so they never go before the judge and thus can legally still purchase a gun. They were more likely to lose the rights to a firearm by criminal record then by being mentally I'll. Stopping the option to go voluntarily after the commitment process has started is one suggestion they should look at. I would think because it's both a legal and medical procedure there has to be a way to make that info available for background checks

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Having worked in Mental health for most of my career I can tell you some things that may surprise the average person. Many of the folks I worked with technically still qualify to purchase firearms despite spending time in Dix hospital. Unless they go before a judge and get held against their will they can still get firearms. Many 72 hr holds voluntarily sign themselves in so they never go before the judge and thus can legally still purchase a gun. They were more likely to lose the rights to a firearm by criminal record then by being mentally I'll. Stopping the option to go voluntarily after the commitment process has started is one suggestion they should look at. I would think because it's both a legal and medical procedure there has to be a way to make that info available for background checks
And it doesn't matter how crazy you are as a kid, when your 18th birthday rolls around suddenly you are just as sane as the rest of us claim to be. (at least in the eyes of the law)

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
  1. Newtown shooter murdered his mother and stole her guns. No BG check done there.
  2. FL school shooter told everyone around him he was going to do it. Cops were called 21 times, they did nothing because the school system was trying to do something about the "minority jail pipeline" and the kid's name was Hispanic. So he passed the BG check.
  3. Charleston SC church shooter passed a BG check because when he got flagged, the Feds checked records in the wrong county.
  4. Texas church shooter passed a BG check because the Air Force didn't enter his domestic violence conviction into the NICS database.
  5. Vegas shooter passed every background check because he had no criminal history and never said anything that caused any alarm.
  6. Almost none of the nearly 500 people murdered in Chicago last year were killed by a gun registered to the shooter and obtained via a BG check.
Background checks sound good but they do very little to prevent shootings. They just give more power to the very agencies that are daily proving their incompetence in administering the current system.
The VT shooter was similarly detained and went before a judge...
It does make you wonder though, how many people have failed a BG check and been denied purchase, and lives saved because of it.

RE the Chicago shootings, so many of those come from straw men that buy them in MS or elsewhere and sell them down the line. I can't find the article but something like 20 different guns one summer were sold from the same Mississippi Gun store that found their way to Chicago really quickly.

I think that if there were a strict liability law regarding NICS as well as safekeeping and securing your guns that would go a long way. Like hunting over a baited duck pond, ignorance is no excuse. If your gun is found to be at a murder scene and you didn't report it stolen or sold with a record of who you sold it to, you're on the hook for something. Make NICS like the Mandatory Reporter law for child abuse.

pickle

Eight Pointer
This is such a simple fix. Why don't we just make killing people illegal. If making guns illegal will supposedly stop the killing. Making the act of killing illegal would be way easier. Everyone can get behind that. BOOM problem solved !!!

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The VT shooter was similarly detained and went before a judge...
If I recall correctly he was ordered to seek out Patient services ..... that is kind of a gray area especially at that time. Not really a compelling argument that he was such a danger to himself or others.... trust me its difficult to force treatment requirements on an out Patient basis. He should of been denied but I think it never made it into system. Some accountability on those responsible for entering the info is important.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Some accountability on those responsible for entering the info is important.
Government NEVER holds itself accountable. In fact, it usually rewards itself for its failures. Air Force didn’t enter the shooter’s conviction for bashing in his son’s head into NICS. Someone should be asking things like, was it one clerk who made a single mistake? Or is it widespread? Are there hundreds of others left out of NICS? Or is there a systemic problem, like does the Air Force have access and authority to enter it?

But THREE DAYS after the shooting, Congress submitted a bill to “fix NICS”, rewarding themselves $ 700,000,000 dollars. There is no way anyone could have answered any of those questions above in three days. And it should be obvious that before you can fix the problem, you need to identify the problem and figure out what it will cost to fix. It could be as simple as firing the person who didn’t do their job. But no, let’s spend three quarters of a BILLION dollars before we even know what we’re going to do with it.

Every time someone asks a Sheriff why he didn’t do his job, he’ll tell you it’s because he needs more deputies. Same thing.

haulinbass

Four Pointer
The latest killings at Wal-Mart are a prime example. The cops were there in 6 minutes. That is a rapid response. It did not matter, the damage was done. Wal-Mart has fired employees in the past for taking action against thieves and violent people, so has Autozone. All big retail chains should wake up and have armed guards/ employees and hire people with concealed carry permits.
Still seems very strange to me that not ONE person!...at a WAL-MART!!... In TEXAS!!!... was armed...

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Still seems very strange to me that not ONE person!...at a WAL-MART!!... In TEXAS!!!... was armed...
If I was in management there the first place I would have ran to would have to be the sporting goods dept and opened the gun case. A semi auto 12 gauge loaded with 00buck could have ended the shooting in just a few minutes. Heck even a 30/30 with open site at that range would have worked

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What is a mall and people still go there?

BTW I hear the Walmart 2A guy is out on 10k bail.....
There was news that he has not been charged on paper for say.

Wonder if it will fall away? Being he did not break any laws.

wl704

Ten Pointer
What is a mall and people still go there?

BTW I hear the Walmart 2A guy is out on 10k bail.....
There was news that he has not been charged on paper for say.

Wonder if it will fall away? Being he did not break any laws.
Fake news. He's being held without bail on capital murder charges.

... Unless you're talking about the other guy who went to Walmart to test his 2a rights. He's an idiot.