Stock market

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
You could try running to I Bonds. They're currently paying 9.62%.
yep, been there.
Good advice for some younger people right now also .
I have to play it a bit more conservative , been retired 15 years.
Planning on starting my SS Feb. '23

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Recessions are necessary corrections from time to time.

I don't disagree. Controlled burns keep down the intensity of forest fire. You got to reduce the amount of dead wood. The monetary policy of the Fed to prevent recessions over the last few Administrations along with the excess money supply inserted during Covid is leading up to what may be a deep recession. I commented in the past that we were overdue for a correction and the longer we put it off, the deeper it would be.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont agree that recessions are necessary, but they are likely to happen.

a recession really is nothing more than someone effed up. Sometimes its a domino effect and many times its multiplied.....but if free trade were let be....it would truly take major problems like droughts or disasters to steer the economy.

you can say Covid triggered this and it was a global crisis.....i agree but think it was man made. I really think the economical impact is from covid reactions more than covid itself.

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
I dont agree that recessions are necessary, but they are likely to happen.

a recession really is nothing more than someone effed up. Sometimes its a domino effect and many times its multiplied.....but if free trade were let be....it would truly take major problems like droughts or disasters to steer the economy.

you can say Covid triggered this and it was a global crisis.....i agree but think it was man made. I really think the economical impact is from covid reactions more than covid itself.
I think we have been a consumer driven economy for too long. People would not stop buying junk they don’t need from countries like China that have weened us into total dependence of their goods.

Add to that the covid labor shortages and shutdowns, the liberated people who are to good to work minimum wage jobs and sprinkle in a couple global shipping incidents then tack on soaring fuel prices you get a perfect crap storm of global economic failure. (Apologies for the run on sentence.)

Southern

Ten Pointer
I hate to say it but this one, whatever it is and however it will be is kind of a perfect storm and BOTH parties are to blame. It's been cooking since Trump and even before. Money too cheap, too many tax breaks, on top of all of the free money and irresponsible policies of the democrats. They are ALL to blame in my opinion. It has been generations of people and the government spending money they dont have and living on credit. Any number of things could trigger it (wont be bank liquidity this time) and when it hits, I think it has the potential to be bad.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
The market had been very good for a long time, a correction was coming regardless of who was in office. The policies of this incompetent administration however are going to make it a much deeper and longer recovery. And they keep making it worse! Another huge spending bill (inflation will spike again) and a corp tax hike are pretty much the worst thing these boobs could do. The energy policies are also going to crush us with the high gas and shipping.

But hey, I’m no economist, just a dumb hillbilly with a little common sense.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So today the Dow is well over 33K. At it's lowest point this year it was 29,927.

How many of you who were in cash and said "I'll get back in when it bottoms out" bought back in at 30K?
If you didn't (and we know you didn't), are you waiting for it to go back below 30K?
Or are you getting back in now?

It's hard to be right twice - when to get out, AND when to get back in...

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So today the Dow is well over 33K. At it's lowest point this year it was 29,927.

How many of you who were in cash and said "I'll get back in when it bottoms out" bought back in at 30K?
If you didn't (and we know you didn't), are you waiting for it to go back below 30K?
Or are you getting back in now?

It's hard to be right twice - when to get out, AND when to get back in...
I was not, nor will I ever be in all cash (or even bonds) I did pull a bunch of my play money out when it lost support at 34000. I jumped back in with that money at about 31000 after posting on July 1 about the support the market seemed to be showing at the 30,500 mark... but I was on a hair trigger to sell if it went back below that support line. Luckily it has not.. so I lost some from the drop to 34000 but shielded some profits from further erosion and missed out on some upside being cautious and wanting to see firm support. All in all happy with the results.

My retirement money is a different story, moved some of that to less aggressive funds etc. some time ago but have been slowly moving back to a more aggressive stance. That did not avoid the blow but it did soften it some. Dow is up about 5% in the last month, I am up around 6.5% in those accounts in the same time period.. but that is still a longer game.. still not positive for the year yet but trending that way barring any new hits.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Well my Earnings "alert" did not tell me today that Disney was reporting :(.

I'm betting it'll be up about 10% between the close today and opening tomorrow.

Good news though is the report sounds like both growth and dividends are expected to rise sharply in Q3, so buying tomorrow may not be a lost cause.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I focused on inexpensive REIT and financials that had strong dividends, bought a few shares yesterday. I didn’t buy anything Monday or today. I did think about adding some more of an REIT I have because the dividend increased and had two days to buy. Before I made a decision shares went up so I left it alone.

I’m most infuriated with anyone thinking inflation is less than it is because I lost a lot of fluidity in the last fourteen months. I would really be taking advantage of shares right now. Buy some more meat 😉

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Well my Earnings "alert" did not tell me today that Disney was reporting :(.

I'm betting it'll be up about 10% between the close today and opening tomorrow.

Good news though is the report sounds like both growth and dividends are expected to rise sharply in Q3, so buying tomorrow may not be a lost cause.
You seem to be up on the game so I will ask you but anyone can answer...lol

I have noticed with stocks that alot of times even when a company has a great ER their share price will drop. It may not be but for a couple days but noticed it drops more often than not.
Then I have seen some (very few)have a bad ER and the price go up......none of that makes no sense to me.
Why does that happen......any ideas?

np307

Ten Pointer

I have noticed with stocks that alot of times even when a company has a great ER their share price will drop. It may not be but for a couple days but noticed it drops more often than not.
Then I have seen some (very few)have a bad ER and the price go up......none of that makes no sense to me.
Efficient market hypothesis.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy

Yeah that drives me nuts also.

Earnings usually tell 2 different stories.

A. How a company performed past quarter, and how that performance was against expectations.

B. how a company expects to perform the next quarter.

Often times, the past quarter was GREAT, beating expectations, BUT......if they expect the next quarter to be slower, price is likely to fall. Bad news about the future is way worse than good news about the past.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah that drives me nuts also.

Earnings usually tell 2 different stories.

A. How a company performed past quarter, and how that performance was against expectations.

B. how a company expects to perform the next quarter.

Often times, the past quarter was GREAT, beating expectations, BUT......if they expect the next quarter to be slower, price is likely to fall. Bad news about the future is way worse than good news about the past.
Yep.. stocks are almost always future looking... if that view is negative on positive results you will see people take profit and when people start selling (and by people I mostly mean the big fund managers) the price drops.

That expectation piece in A is key.. a great qtr that just hits expectation is meh... those expectations are priced into the stock before the announcement.

np307

Ten Pointer
Anybody get swept up in the BBBY madness? Gonna be a lot of bag holders after today. I made 40% on puts last week and another 50% this week. Didnt try to make any money on the way up though.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With an administration that continues to lie about inflation trying to buy $300-$500 b worth of votes prior to November how can the market not tank?

Inflation is going to kill us and the president just keeps spending $.
President announces unconstitutional loan forgiveness. $300-500B added to the inflation problem. Fed chair announces continuing increase in interest rates to combat inflation. Stock market takes a dive.

This administration doesn’t care about this country at all. Their only concern is buying votes to retain power.

You can’t even blame this on stupidity now, it’s intentional destruction.