Still some birds around

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Went to my pond yesterday to do some work. Had a nice show of 500 plus ducks mostly teal and woodies and a few widgeon and gadwall. Nice to see a few around still. I imagine this cold will keep them here for atleast another week or two. They should be going back fat and happy. Anyone still seeing decent numbers of ducks?

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I got super excited walking to the pier yesterday am. Huge mess of birds churning around. Turns out it was cormorants, pelicans, and others. Not a duck in sight.

It was weird though. They were moving like they were chairing bait, but none seemed to be diving or eating.

So, no ducks, no fish.

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
Ruddy's and a few ringnecks on the bigger lakes around RDU the past 2 weeks. Haven't seen any mallards on local ponds but our private swamps are full of woodies, geese and hooded mergs.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a few flocks of ringnecks yesterday while fishing and the first ruddy ducks I had seen in a long time on tuesday while fishing. Nothing remarkable. I think those were the only divers I managed to lay eyes on all winter aside from the occasional bufflehead and mergs.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Still seeing some bluebills on the Nuese but the numbers are beginning to decline. Was seeing thousands of them in a few places further south until this week when they all seemingly vanished.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Few teal still around. Other than that only seeing woodies and mallards. Most ponds are dry, boats are up. Time for the offseason work to begin. Already helped my buddy plant one of his ponds in submerged aquatics. Should be a good offseason. The kids and family and work will be my main focus, with less duck work this year than years past but still plenty to do.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Ahhh, the life of having a young family and an impoundment to manage…..😉

Still right many teal around, mostly gw’s. Had 5 blue wings in ditch however, one being a beautiful drake I’d like to have seen a couple months ago while looking down my barrel. Pretty birds.

Yep, lots of maintenance as we worked hard Saturday cutting down trees and clearing brush. Pond is getting drier, won’t be long till I get some tractor seat time to turn it all under. Still many more things to be done, just hope to get them in before the yellow flies, skeeters and humidity set in. I can’t stand bugs and heat!

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Saw less bluewings this march than I usually do. I usually see a good mix but it was mostly greenwings. Some Widgeon hung around for a while. There were alot in eastern NC this year.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Surprised to see bout 50 ruddies still hanging around this morning.
I usually see ruddies hanging out later than anything. I’m still seeing ruddies and occasional bluebills in a handful of spots.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Also still have a few buffleheads and mergs behind my house on the lafayette river in norfolk. I stopped feeding them a few weeks ago so numbers have dwindled significantly but still a few around