Still some birds around

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Went by one of my spots the other day and had a good number of teal and woodies and a few other misc ducks in there. Cool to see some birds still around. Hearing good reports in most NE NC and SE VA areas. Anyone else seeing good numbers still?

Clark

Ten Pointer
Saw a merganser in Taylor's Creek. :rolleyes:
Did see several flocks of scoters heading east off Atlantic Beach.

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
Pond out at the airport still has bluebills, buffleheads, mallards and some mergansers as well. Had a couple cans out there as well last week. A couple weeks before I had a pair of Tundra Swans fly over my shop one morning. They were way off track. I’ve never seen tundras in the RDU area, was pretty cool.

Outdoorsman252

Four Pointer
Best time of the year. They are plentiful, have great color and land right under the robo like they've never seen one before

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Still redheads, blackheads and buffleheads around here. A lot of paired up black ducks.

The resident goose population is going to be unreal around here. Everywhere you look, there’s a pair of geese. Saw a picture where one had taken up in a osprey nest on top of a pole.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Saw a few goslings already in Norfolk. Watched the wood duck flight the other afternoon and 75% were in pairs. A few big groups but for the most part paired up and hopefully nesting

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Seen the most ringnecks ive seen all season on the lake the other day. Boats would come by, they would get up make 2 cirlces around me and land right back where they were.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Still seeing lots of bluebills and buffies in Carteret & Craven. Saw some really pretty plumed out ruddies recently as well.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Most ponds around hampton roads where I usually see ducks are pretty loaded. Plenty of gadwall. Should move out with this warm up.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Saw 7-800 green wings, 3 doz gaddies, and a pile of shovelers and woodrows along with a few mallards yesterday afternoon. Was surprised they were around since we had a strong SW wind. Went ahead and pulled some boards as it’s time to start drying out.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Saw 7-800 green wings, 3 doz gaddies, and a pile of shovelers and woodrows along with a few mallards yesterday afternoon. Was surprised they were around since we had a strong SW wind. Went ahead and pulled some boards as it’s time to start drying out.
Always a little sad when you've gotta pull the boards. Its a new start to the year but you hate to see it go.
Pulled mine this past weekend. Figured I would atleast see a good flight of woodies. I then learned how much racket planting potatoes is. My neighboring property was going hard at it the whole time I was there. Saw very few birds at all. It really was the noisiest planting operation with the most equipment involved I have ever seen. They were pretty late as well so they were in high gear. Got it done sunday so hopefully everything will calm down.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Checked the pond yesterday in hopes it was dry but almost 2” of rain earlier in week left ditches full and some random puddles. Still had a handful of woodies along with a pair of blacks using it. Then went to the connecting small pond which still had water and to my surprise was holding about 30 mallards and ~60 teal. Thought the teal would have been gone, the mallards are probably resident birds but that’s first time I’ve seen any there.

Still hearing of some birds around but this weeks warm up should kick them out of here.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I live on the lafayette river in norfolk and the bufflehead sure do hold on tight. Went out on the boat yesterday and still saw a decent amount. Some local ponds have some gadwall on them but less than half of what they were holding during the year. I imagine with 83 and sunny alot of birds will boogie out.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Friend of mine (duck/fishing guide) called and said a big flock of common scoters ~150 flew right by his boat while fishing a few miles off the beach at Wrightsville yesterday. Would have been gravy shots, lol.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Still seeing some divers around New Bern/ Havelock/ Morehead city. Ringnecks, buffies and bluebills mostly, and a couple ruddies here and there.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
There’s a lot of black ducks that are residents and nest along the coast up to the Chesapeake. Got a buddy that did his graduate work looking at nesting behavior/habitat of black ducks along the NC and Va coasts.