Steven Rinella of Meateater show says CWD is a big deal

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership joins several of the nation’s other leading conservation and hunting organizations in launching a new how-to video on deboning a deer in the field. This helps to prevent bringing home parts of the carcass that could carry chronic wasting diseas
e.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Could be a useful video video for a new hunter... with a completely unnecessary scare tactic to get you to watch it...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
More propaganda BS. Only redeeming factor is for novice hunters or someone that has never boned out a deer it may be informative or save them a citation bringing meat into states with CWD restrictions. I see why it would perk the OP's interest with that being said.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning CWD. There is some research looking into the role that viruses play in this. Some argue the mutated prion is a manifestation of an unknown virus. Virolution, by Frank Ryan, is a good read and talks about the evolution of viruses and disease and mentions CWD and other TSE's.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
@CRC have you ever hunted a state that has CWD? Have you ever hunted an area WITHIN that state that has CWD and/or special regulations because of CWD? I know the answer, but humor us anyway.

I have. You know what the worst part of CWD is, other than how the few animals, relative to the whole population, die that get it? The regulations and management of the herd because of it.

Scare tactics. Ask the states and hunters within the states that have CWD what’s worse.... CWD or the management of it.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not claiming CWD is a big deal but a lot of people like the Meateater show and Mr Rinella

His opinion of the threat of CWD might carry some weight.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Nevada biologists do not want CWD in their state, also think its a big deal

Officials in Nevada are desperately trying to stop infected deer that may be migrating over the state line from Utah.

Referred to as “zombie deer,” the affected animals have contracted highly contagious chronic wasting disease, which causes lethargy and emaciation and can destroy deer and elk populations.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has raised concern that chronic wasting disease may pose a risk to humans

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You may not think it is a big deal but you sure do wake up Chicken Little every time you can dig up something that suits your agenda (that you claim you don't have).

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The problem is biologists do think it’s a “big deal” and the vast majority of them

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The problem is as stated in this thread they force restrictions on hunters whether hunters want it or not

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yes but they can hide behind CWD.

On one note Virginia repealed antler restrictions where they have CWD.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
@CRC have you ever hunted a state that has CWD? Have you ever hunted an area WITHIN that state that has CWD and/or special regulations because of CWD? I know the answer, but humor us anyway.

I have. You know what the worst part of CWD is, other than how the few animals, relative to the whole population, die that get it? The regulations and management of the herd because of it.

Scare tactics. Ask the states and hunters within the states that have CWD what’s worse.... CWD or the management of it.
I remember hunting in the DEZ in Wisconsin as a teenager. Awful. They opened up rifle season for a year straight in an area previously confined to Shotguns.

The saving grace is that the populations seemed to bounce back within 3 years or so.