Steel toed shoes.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Any recommendations on steel-toed Merrell type shoes or work-sole "cowboy" steel-toed boots?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I work in this world (I wear safety shoes, every day). Will you be working in them.....or, do you just have to wear them (i.e. office environment, mostly)?

Either way, I'd look at Redwings. You're gonna pay for them, though.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I work in this world (I wear safety shoes, every day). Will you be working in them.....or, do you just have to wear them (i.e. office environment, mostly)?

Either way, I'd look at Redwings. You're gonna pay for them, though.

Only steel-toed boots I have knowledge in are Danner jungles, but different environment now. I've been on my feet since the age I've been employable. In recent years, I've found that Merrell shoes and Cody James work sole boots are the only ones that give me the support that I need.

Now, I'm transitioning into a different job that requires steel toed shoes. I'll be on my feet the whole day. Much like I'm used, but with the added requirement.

Thanks for your input. I'll be checking those out tomorrow.

Last edited:

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Only steel-toed boots I have knowledge in are Danner jungles, but different environment now. I've on my feet and have been since I've been employable. In recent years, I've found that Merrell shoes and Cody James work sole boots are the only ones that give me the support that I need.

Now, I'm transitioning into a different job that requires steel toed shoes. I'll be on my feet the whole day. Much like I'm used, but with the added requirement.

Thanks for your input. I'll be checking those out tomorrow.

Are you required to wear steel-toe shoes that cover your ankles or are ankle height shoes ok?? I have a pair of Keen (for above ankle - chemical plants, etc.) and recently purchased a pair of Timberlands (ankle height). Make sure you check out weight of the boots as well. Merrell has steel toe (composite toe I believe) shoes/boots if you prefer them. Also, a lot of the athletic shoe companies are starting to manufacturing steel toe shoes, Reebok, New Balance, and others. I’ve never worn nor tried them on.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Only requirement is steel-toe. Ankle height isn't an issue, but I've noticed increased stability with above ankle footwear. I'm going to check out Redwing and Keen tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Only requirement is steel-toe. Ankle height isn't an issue, but I've noticed increased stability with above ankle footwear. I'm going to check out Redwing and Keen tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

They likely don't have to be steel. That's why he asked what he did.

Likely, they have to adhere to Z41. Other materials do this (ex - composites).

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I've wore Redwings and Wolverines and prefer Wolverines, but you won't know which you like better until you try them on.
Georgia makes a good boot also.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They likely don't have to be steel. That's why he asked what he did.

Likely, they have to adhere to Z41. Other materials do this (ex - composites).

Steel-toe was specifically stated. I'll know more once I'm in the environment, but the HR package called out for steel-toe.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Steel-toe was specifically stated. I'll know more once I'm in the environment, but the HR package called out for steel-toe.

I write these policies (for my Co.). I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be highly unlikely that they would not allow a shoe that fit the Z41 Std.

No worries, though. Good luck.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I write these policies (for my Co.). I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be highly unlikely that they would not allow a shoe that fit the Z41 Std.

No worries, though. Good luck.
Your quote beyond what I knew was helpful. I was just stating what I received in my package.

I meant no disrespect.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want a cowboy boot style, look into the Irish setter square toes. Lots of our guys have them. I’m on pair number 3 over about 5 years. They are decent boots.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
None taken. Trust me. I'm just trying to state that you have options (other than steel), likely. Composites are lighter. Could be important.

Talk to as many people as you can who wear these shoes, every day. If I didn't have to wear them, I wouldn't. None of them are as comfortable as non (safety). Get the best you can afford. Your feet will love you for it.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer

What industry or type of work?? ANSI Z41 is what OSHA references and I would be surprised if not allowed. I would definitely ask, composite is much lighter.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Merrells have a 60 day "Make It Right" guarantee. If you like Merrell shoes and boots that's the way to go. I have worn their mocs since they started making them and the last pair had the comp toe and the ASTM F2413-11 I/75 C/75 ratings. They are just as comfortable as the non-safety toe versions to me.

<>< Fish

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What industry or type of work?? ANSI Z41 is what OSHA references and I would be surprised if not allowed. I would definitely ask, composite is much lighter.

Machining heavy metals. I'll most certainly get clarification. Thanks for bringing this up guys.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I abuse boots. I've had a few 'steel' toes in the cowboy style. Don't get the Tony Lama's with the saddle style, the stitching comes undone, they lasted 3 months. Steer clear of Double H, the soles came undone in the machine shop environment, not sure if it's the oil/coolant/chemicals that come in contact.

Now for the best boots you'll never regret. The Rocky Long Range and the name has endured the torture of pavement, gravel, dirt, manure, wet ground, oil, blood, cattle stepping on, kicking objects; they are going strong after owning a pair for over 4 years.

The pics below speaks volumes.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Redwings are going to run you $250-$350. You're not going to get many reviews, for that reason.

If I had to guess, your employer will likely pick up a portion of this cost (again, I'd guess $60-100/yr). We allow employees to "bank" 2 yrs. Check with your HR to see what their policy is. You could potentially bank two years worth and make the next time you have this expense more palatable. Oddly enough, quality costs more, but is a better value.

I will wear, today, the same shoes I've been wearing for 4.5 yrs.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Wolverines have served me better in the last 15 yrs than Redwings and I tried Georgia ONCE and never again.

my employer pays $50/yr for new steel toe shoes/boots....no banking,

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I'm fairly hard on boots. Between being on concrete all day and work stands that have aggressive surfaces on them, they just don't last. I prefer composite toe over the ankle boots. The tennis shoe style doesn't give me the ankle support I need, although I like them. Wolverine and Thorogood boots have worked ok for me.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I like Timberland Pro's. Light and comfortable out of the box. YMMV

Same here. For a working boot the Timberland pro is the only boot that i wear and for me doesn't require a break in period, as stated they are comfortable right out of the box or at least have been in my experience. I have both lace up and wellington style. I do have a pair of Redwings that I also like that I wear out.

As for a cowboy style boot some of the guys I work with wear Justin boots that are square toe cowboy style.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm required to wear them (above ankle) every day. I am addicted to the BOA lacing style, so redwings for me. Mine are non marking and esd rated so I don't get shocked by doorknobs on cool dry days. They also fit well and I average over 11,000 steps per day when in the field and they last me 3+ years.

Be sure to try them on and walk in them first. Also understand some of the stiffness will loosen up as you use them. I hate the first few days in new boots!

klim

Twelve Pointer
I’ve had several pairs of the Wolverine mansards with a composite toe, I really like them. My job doesn’t require that I wear them but I am around heavy equipment and do some heavy lifting at times. It just gives me piece of mind I guess.

Fudd

Four Pointer
Just retired in Jan. I spent 39 years with steel toe shoes mostly Wolverine brand with a added arch support. Hope you find a shoe or boot that brings comfort because if your feet are not happy then you will not be happy either. Good luck

Sp8

Ten Pointer
We are required to wear safety toe and so far the only boot I've been able to find that holds up here at my work has been Doc Marteen.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I have wore Redwings in the past and loved them. Started wearing Justins about 5 years ago and have gone through two pair. Company just changed out policy to include steel shank in the sole. The good news is they pay for them 100% the bad new is very limited options. I chose the Ariat square toe work boot, been wearing them about a week now. So far they are good, not as good as the Justins I had really broken in but still good!