State records and certified scales

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
It has come to my attention that I’ve let two records go in the last couple of weeks. Obviously I didn’t think anything of it but I didn’t know. Now I’m wondering where I’d even get something weighed. My dad swears I’ve eaten several record fish lol.

What you guys take on this? I’m mostly fishing the Yadkin chain from Kerr Scott to badin fwiw.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
In the lower yadkin area(hrl, badin, tuckertown) you could have one weighed at sports country in Denton. At least they used to have a certified scale. I’m sure they still do. Just curious as to what kind of record fish you caught?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I get IGFA to certify my scales that I carry and in most cases I'm the witness since I rarely fish when out with a client.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any place that sells produce to the public the scales have to be state certified. You of course have to have a witness also. Now walking into a store and getting them to weigh a fish, good luck with that.
I know a feller that got one weighed at the Post Office once…. He thought sure he had the state record Bluegill. He was well short, 2 lbs 11 oz, but it was still a nice Bluegill. He did get an NCARP certificate though, and a healthy serving of crow from all his buddies 😁

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
yes, I am curious as well - that's quite the streak - so what did you catch and how big (inches/lbs)?
That’s just it, I’ve got pics etc and tried to weigh one on a Berkley junk scale. One spotted bass and one white bass. The one white bass I mistook as a hybrid and hence my mistake. Spotted bass was a happy accident but it sure was fun on light tackle. He was a couple ounces shy of 7lbs. He is posted here somewhere. But surely you green fish guys catch them bigger!? One of the white bass is posted but the pic wasn’t even the biggest one.

For the most part what I’m finding shocking is that these weren’t even personal bests!? I mean I ate one and tossed the other back. I’m not a great fisherman but I go often enough to as my dad says, “eliminate the odds”. Comes down to it I don’t know if I care enough to bother. Depends on how convenient I suppose.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Not sure about state rules, but IGFA says you can send the scales you weighed the fish on with your record application and they will check em..if they are not already certified...fww

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
What was the length on the white bass?
I don’t know exactly. I can tell ya that they were good blackened…. Look at that one white bass pic I posted. Maybe an inch longer than that if any, but noticeably heavier. I thought those two were hybrids and kept and ate them. They were beyond 20 inches because when I half-ass measured the first it thinking it was a hybrid, it was an inch or two past and the other was even bigger. I just went back to catching asap. Only kept a couple.

I’ve never caught more fish in a single day. I counted somewhere around 40ish casts between 8am and 2pm that did NOT land a fish. I made an insane number of casts. I was sore for two days. 60+ yard casts too. I was elevated and casting with the wind though. I’ve even fished that area once with a game warden after he had to know how I was catching so many :)

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I’m not entirely sure what that means… I’m not even sure if I’d pursue it just found it shocking. I’m very not a trophy guy.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
That’s just it, I’ve got pics etc and tried to weigh one on a Berkley junk scale. One spotted bass and one white bass. The one white bass I mistook as a hybrid and hence my mistake. Spotted bass was a happy accident but it sure was fun on light tackle. He was a couple ounces shy of 7lbs. He is posted here somewhere. But surely you green fish guys catch them bigger!? One of the white bass is posted but the pic wasn’t even the biggest one.

For the most part what I’m finding shocking is that these weren’t even personal bests!? I mean I ate one and tossed the other back. I’m not a great fisherman but I go often enough to as my dad says, “eliminate the odds”. Comes down to it I don’t know if I care enough to bother. Depends on how convenient I suppose.

Where are the pictures? I would love to see the spot. I’ve caught several over 5 but never over 6. That is just a monster. And there will never be another spotted bass record in North Carolina because of the crossed genetics according to the ncwrc.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I figured the genetics would be odd on the spot especially since I didn’t consider its size worth noting. That means I’m likely catching hybrids when they are roughly that size. I’m not really hung up on this, just wanted to know how, should I ever get a wild hair. Having to jump through hoops means I’ll likely never even bother. It would have to be a true freak of nature to even put it my mind. I just thought some of these records would have been much higher based on my numbers.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty sure the Carolina bowfishing club has certified scales they actually carry with them. If not, feed stores or produce stores. Another option is feed mills. Chicken feed, hog, turkey etc……..should all have certified scales. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know……….

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Not sure about state rules, but IGFA says you can send the scales you weighed the fish on with your record application and they will check em..if they are not already certified...fww

I was under the impression that they had stopped this practice. Too much room for "thumbs" if ya know what I mean.... If you do submit a fish for a potential record the scales MUST be submitted with the fish so I'm not sure the same concern doesn't exist....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Not may folks can claim to have eaten multiple state records of multiple species.

At one time a guy in the mountains laid claim to multiple state records- Leonard Williams catching from Santeelah.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Oh I understand the rarity. This whole thing just has me taken back. I REALLY thought the records were much larger. I mean if I snag a 4lb crappie I’d know I had something. But a white bass? Guess there’s a fair chance it has striper in it somewhere down the line. The spot, I had no idea since I do not bass fish; haven’t been able to add enough sparkles to my kayak yet.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I would guess that a 7 lb "spot" is a Hybid with a Largemouth.....that was the case with the one thought to be a spot record from Norman.