Started working on my surplus mil camper

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have been tweaking the design and layout of my S250 camper box. I upgraded the tires (but it may need even larger ones) to match the tire size of my dump trailer. I have installed a composite platform by the door, an awning is on order and I am seriously considering a pop top for an extra bunk on top.
804541e066c63838533faa89b7783159.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Micro porch added over the weekend as well as a more secure method of attachment to the trailer. Here is a close-up of the entry door lock and my entertainment center!
a31f543e4f3ef322ed3ae613f469c464.jpg
ade9a8a6ccfa4f79c0a1b994b0e73afd.jpg
31d3502c4d03f5288c044436f298a3a0.jpg
391b1973eefaf26e3c938be05b00fe05.jpg

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks great!

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but you might can find a propane camper grill to attach to the exterior. Also supply an outdoor shower with hot water via a cheap on-demand water heater. Or line the roof with black hose and plexiglass and bleed it before each trip. Could supply a quick luke warm shower.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Looks great!

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but you might can find a propane camper grill to attach to the exterior. Also supply an outdoor shower with hot water via a cheap on-demand water heater. Or line the roof with black hose and plexiglass and bleed it before each trip. Could supply a quick luke warm shower.
This does work. My dad had a whitish colored 50 gal tank on top of his horse trailer. If in sun all day it would be rather warm.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got in the awning. I had to fabricate a pair of adaptors to use the supplied mounting brackets. I am impressed as how much shade these give you!
660f4dc09c5c374ca913a08e36efed32.jpg
e84a367a3da9b27a3dd163428fb602bf.jpg
39fdb7e16df38a6ba44e4a3da62a9124.jpg

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
I must confess that in looking at the narrow track of that trailer and the high center of gravity of the setup I'm a bit concerned about a possible roll-over hazard.

With that said, if you're comfortable with the high center of gravity you might consider taking some of the pickup truck tool boxes that run lengthwise down the sides of the bed rails and mount them sideways under the sides of the shelter for more storage. I had a pair of Delta truck boxes that worked just fine on their sides under one of my duece and a half trucks. I put a short length of chain on the lids so that they acted as shelves when open. After all, you never have enough room for junk....err, important gear and the maximum capacity of any military equipment is "Just one more"....

And you could consider using some of that overhang for some combination of water storage, a small generator, angle iron storage bin. etc.

Lance

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I must confess that in looking at the narrow track of that trailer and the high center of gravity of the setup I'm a bit concerned about a possible roll-over hazard.

With that said, if you're comfortable with the high center of gravity you might consider taking some of the pickup truck tool boxes that run lengthwise down the sides of the bed rails and mount them sideways under the sides of the shelter for more storage. I had a pair of Delta truck boxes that worked just fine on their sides under one of my duece and a half trucks. I put a short length of chain on the lids so that they acted as shelves when open. After all, you never have enough room for junk....err, important gear and the maximum capacity of any military equipment is "Just one more"....

And you could consider using some of that overhang for some combination of water storage, a small generator, angle iron storage bin. etc.

Lance
I definitely agree with keeping the center of gravity as low as possible. I have thought about installing generator and h2o storage brackets on the overhang etc. Currently during travel a generator, toilet, privacy tent are stored on the inside floor.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Lance
You should have seen it with the old tires!
782710949123a55c09d5b6954c3fd5e3.jpg

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
That looks like the lead in to a "you might be a redneck" kind of thing :oops:

I almost think that some kind of angle iron and expanded metal (or cargo net) bins under the overhangs might be the most flexible way to go.

Lance