Stand preference for bow hunting?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What type of stand do you like to bow hunt out of? I typically use ladder stands but lost one of my favorite bow stands in the storms last fall. Needing to replace it and cant decide if I want another ladder stand or if i want a lock on with sticks. Never been a huge fan of the lock on stands and sticks but I do belive they conceal better than a ladder. What is the boarda thought????

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I have loc-ons, ladders and ground blinds. I prefer loc-ons with climbing sticks and that's what I've always used and still do. I set the ground blind up for my daughter and after several years of hunting with her in it I liked it so much I bought myself one but I haven't used it yet. If I ever get to the point where the loc-on becomes a problem for me to use i'll probably start hunting from ground blinds. As for the ladder I mostly put it up in the back yard to practice out of.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I have loc ons and loved them for bow hunting. Deer always walked right bye and never noticed me. Now with that said I stopped using them for safety reasons. Not trying to start a debate just an opinion. Always wore my harness but never felt great about going from the sticks to the stand. Had a cousin fall last season and a friend die 2 seasons ago from a fall both were loc ons. I stick with ladder stands and ground blinds. I try to find a spot where the ladder is somewhat hidden.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
With 3 back surgeries behind me , I’m in ground blinds or box stands. For archery , though it’s exclusively ground blinds.

The switch from ladders to ground blinds hasn’t hurt my success one bit.

In setting up a stand it’s all in making sure you have the least invasive entrance and exit routes planned , no matter what kind of stand be it a ladder , loc-on , box blind , or ground blind.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I use Locons in most cases. I can hide in the cover of the trees very well. I also like my climber in cutovers with larger trees. The climber allows me to move around day to day if I am looking for that big buck. I don't sit the same stand more than a few times a year.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What kind of ground blinds are y'all bow hunting out of? I would need one suitable for hunting with a compound bow.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I prefer lock ons when bow hunting. A lot more open and more room to get my feet positioned. I never feel quite as solid in a ladder although I have bow hunted out of many. Havent tried bow hunting out of a ground blind yet though.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Loc-ons for me. I like to hang one in a tree group for good cover. I built one ground box blind tall enough to shoot a bow standing out of, in a spot where I've hunted some for the last 10+ years. Works real nice for a rainy day. But I still prefer to be in a tree.

MyHrly

Six Pointer
I prefer Ladder Stands, or My Summit Climber for Safety. Im too Old to be Stepping out onto a Lock-on.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I prefer a loc-on stand nestled into a group of trees that provides me plenty of concealment. I also use one extra section of stick so I can climb up past platform level and step down onto the platform.
Ive never understood people that use a short ladder stick and then try to climb up onto the stand...just asking for trouble. A life line is on all my set-ups too.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
The best stand I have bow hunted out of was an old API predator. It was a PIA to set up and climb so I would find me 2 trees about 4 ft apart where I wanted to hunt. I would put some climbing sticks up one tree and the stand on the other one. Climb with the stand then strap it in good and tight. It had a platform in front that you could stand on and then climb down the sticks it would stay up all season. Till someone stole it off my lease in SC if anyone has one of these API predators and would like to sell it give me a shout

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I'm with Buckshooter, to many back surgerys , hunt from ground blinds ,pop ups or make natural ones , for me seems to be important to set them up at least a couple months in advance so deer have a chance to get accustomed to it being there, not sure if you don't have private property to hunt.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I like lock ons, and I prefer sticks that slide together to form one large climbing stick rather than the separate sections. Feels more secure to me. Ladder stands are a little bit more comfortable most of the time, but they’re harder to put up by myself. These days, most of my hunting is from a climber.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
At almost 61 years old I still use lock ons, ladders, and ground blinds. I struggle with putting up lock ons by myself. Ladders are no problem. I always wear a harness and all my stands have life lines. I have even caught myself wearing my harness to the ground blind. Good habit to have.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Good topic.
Let me share something. A loc on set is usually what I set. But if a deer shows up somewhere I will sit in your trash can to shoot em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeap...my stands always depend on the where and what

Where i need to hunt and
What its like there - could be a stand, ground, ghillie,,,,even had one place where the right stand was s old abandoned tobacco barn

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I am 50 -50 the last few years in killing archery deer from a ladder versus a loc on.
I like ladders better until i get seated. Just safer imo.
After I am up I like a locon better. just my bias after decades of using locons.
light sticks and stands have really made the hang on stands more versatile replacing climbers for some.

berryman26

Six Pointer
I am 50 -50 the last few years in killing archery deer from a ladder versus a loc on.
I like ladders better until i get seated. Just safer imo.
After I am up I like a locon better. just my bias after decades of using locons.
light sticks and stands have really made the hang on stands more versatile replacing climbers for some.
What are some good sticks and lockons your recommend that are light but don't cost hundreds? I've been eyeing Lone Wolf but idk if I can justify the cost.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
My favorite stands to hunt from are the lock on type. I like to hide them in the branches and it helps conceal my movement from drawing my bow. Ladder stands come in a close second.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I've used lock-on type stands with sticks, rope steps, screw-in steps, etc, for many years and still do. However, my favorite is my Summit Open Shot SD climber. The entire stand weighs in at like 15# and I can scoot up a tree with it pretty efficiently and quietly. In the climber I am tethered in the entire time and never have to step off a step over onto a platform....with the climber its always under my feet. I don't think I can get too close to 15# with any of my hang-on's and the necessary gear to get up the tree.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What are some good sticks and lockons your recommend that are light but don't cost hundreds? I've been eyeing Lone Wolf but idk if I can justify the cost.

You talking carry in/carry out light? Or just light enough to carry in once and hang by yourself?

I hang and leave on private land, and I like EZY step deluxe screw steps or API sticks and a Millennium M-50.

If I was hunting public, I would lean heavily toward a climber. Or have one climber and one lightweight/packable lock on setup.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
unfortunately the cost soars with the "lightness factor" I have no alternatives to recommend for mobility.
But if you are using fixed location sets the list is endless. and you can always use tree steps instead of sticks.

“J”

Twelve Pointer
If you’re leaning towards sticking with the ladder stands, look at rivers edge stands. Comfortable and fairly easy setup.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I just can't see my fat arse perched on a loc on. And saddles are out of the question.

I prefer ladders or ground blinds. Am going to play around with portable blinds this year and see if I can make em work.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I like to be 25-30 foot high and to have the choice to stand or sit on a wide range of shots so I use a millennium loc on 80% of the time. They all have a safety Lifelines for hsrnes. I move to different areas with an Olman climber that has wide range for a climber, can remove rail. Then my ground blind are usually rut and late season, one out of a barn and other is pop up, everything is bow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I prefer a loc-on stand nestled into a group of trees that provides me plenty of concealment. I also use one extra section of stick so I can climb up past platform level and step down onto the platform.
Ive never understood people that use a short ladder stick and then try to climb up onto the stand...just asking for trouble. A life line is on all my set-ups too.
I also use 25 feet of climbing sticks and I start them 5 feet off the ground. Poacher is gonna have to be in decent shape to use them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

berryman26

Six Pointer
You talking carry in/carry out light? Or just light enough to carry in once and hang by yourself?

I hang and leave on private land, and I like EZY step deluxe screw steps or API sticks and a Millennium M-50.

If I was hunting public, I would lean heavily toward a climber. Or have one climber and one lightweight/packable lock on setup.
Yeah I only hunt public land, so being able to put up and take down easy is preferred. I left my climber in the woods LOCKED to a tree last season and someone still stole it...

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The best stand I have bow hunted out of was an old API predator. It was a PIA to set up and climb so I would find me 2 trees about 4 ft apart where I wanted to hunt. I would put some climbing sticks up one tree and the stand on the other one. Climb with the stand then strap it in good and tight. It had a platform in front that you could stand on and then climb down the sticks it would stay up all season. Till someone stole it off my lease in SC if anyone has one of these API predators and would like to sell it give me a shout

I’ve had 2 of those things.... kind of like some sort of model kit trying to put that thing on a tree...

They were pretty comfortable once you got them set up. Not really suited to bigger fellers or long legged galoots though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk